ANOTHER OHM QUESTION- Mesa and Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phantomfears, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    I have an M-Pulse 600 (600 watts @ 4 ohms and 320 at 8 ohms) with a Powerhouse 410 8 ohm cab. I also have a ampeg PN 210 8 ohm cab. Can I safely combine these two cabs to create a 610? I have read a substantial amount of threads here and as soon as I think I understand the ohms, I realize I am still struggling with this issue. TB expertise is needed. Thanks!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Yea, the 2 cabs will run @ 4 ohm together. You'll be fine and it should pump pretty darn hard.

I don't have any clue what the cabs are rated for so be careful they don't get pushed too hard.

3. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    Thanks for the response. Another question, will all 6 speakers be assuming an equal amount watts or will the 210s be taking double the load of each of the 410s.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, the poor 2x10 will be taking twice the power per speaker; not such a great pairing.

5. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    That's what I was worried about. Is this true if I run them in series, i.e., speaker cabinet to speaker cabinet instead of both from the amp?

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's not series!

it's still parallel however you hook the cabs to the amp.

the answer would be a 16Ω 2x10 cab; that would make for a 5.3Ω 6x10 with equal power going to all speakers.

7. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    Sorry, still learning...So adding another 210 8 ohm cab would do the trick?

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    so you mean two 8Ω 2x10 cabs along with that boogie?

that would give you an effective 4Ω 4x10, which would be unbalanced with the boogie 8Ω 4x10.

(oh, never apologize for learning, i'm doing just that all the time here on TB beer.gif )

9. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    Thanks walterw, so it sounds like there really is not a configuration that I can combine with those three cabs?

10. No, unless you meant run the 2x 2x10 and leave the 4x10 at home. Some small advantage in power from the amp if the 2x10 are heavy duty.

With the cabs you have you are between rock and hard place.

Either swap wholesale, add another 4x10 to the 4x10, or 2x10 to 2x10.

Or rewrire a 4ohm 2x10 to 16ohm to add to the 4x10, not much to be gained.

11. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    If I do run all 3 cabs together, will that damage the m-pulse? What is the detriment of mixing the ohms?

12. Amps should only run as low as recommended by manufacturer. The three together would be 2.6 ohms, making amp overheat.

13. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    I certainly do not want to do that. I get adding another 410 8 ohm cab but what is your opinion on adding a Powerhouse 15 8ohm cab?

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    dude, read further on TB and you'll find tons of threads about that! the upshot is that a 4x10 plus a 15 is a crappy, unbalanced combo, and that mixing different kinds of bass cabs together in general is not such a great idea.

15. That about sums it up.

16. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    This.

17. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    Yes, I have read some of the threads about not mixing cabs, but what about the Powerhouse 1200 which mixes 4 10s and a 15 in one cab?

18. Have you read the reviews on the cab? Being a Mesa owner, I've owned the 1200, 610 and 412, but sold the 1200. It's a great sounding cab, but compared to the 412 and 610 it sounds overly boomy IMO, it can be EQ'd out to some extent, but I just prefer the tone of my 610 and 412 cabs. Do some research on the 1200, it's mostly a gimmick, just speakers thrown into a box. If it works for you, great, but some don't really like that particular cab.

19. You already read the mixing cabs story, great, read it again.

20. Phantomfears

Phantomfears

Apr 1, 2012
    Seattle
    I think I'll start looking for another 410 Powerhouse. I have read great things about the M-pulse head with 8 10s. Thanks TB users for the posts!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021