1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another one Bites the Dust

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mugre, Aug 1, 2012.

1. West L.A. Music has been acquired by G.C. and will cease operations on August 4th. It doesn't say specifically in the e-mail that was forwarded to me but I assume they mean both locations. There's a big liquidation sale going on.

46 years in business and I've been going there for 39. It feels like losing an old friend. Maybe a friend with some issues but a friend nonetheless.

Mugre

2. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    On the bright side,maybe you can find a great deal at your old friend's 'moving on party'..

I hate to say it,but I wish something like this would happen to my local music shop. It could only be an improvement..

3. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Times are tough. I find that a strange acquisition. I would think GC would not buy a store considering how the economy is doing.

4. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    On my way.... thnx for the heads-up. :D

5. They didn't buy WLA to operate it. They bought it to kill knowing most of the locals will migrate to the GC a mile or so away. Even as WLA struggled, those future visits are worth something and after 46 years I'll bet the owner was ready for a break.

According to the retailer trade magazine MM&R, spending on musical instruments has been increasing over the last year in most segments.

Mugre

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    And yet GC has been inches away from bankruptcy for a few years now.

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    It kind of sucks, I remember when Mars Music came in, maybe about a year later GC came in and bought The Music Loft in Raleigh. A couple years later Mars Music goes out of business and in comes Sam Ash. Next thing, they build a GC in Durham and put the Music Loft in Durham out of business, I think the Music Loft in Carrboro is hanging on by a thread.

Conn-Signment Music in Raleigh is the first place I go when looking for strings, used basses and used amps. For the adventurous, the other side of his shop is a Full Service Head Shop. :eek:

8. I'd be there every day.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    By Full Service Head Shop you mean amp head repair? :)

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    How does that work?
    Do they clean your weed for you then roll some doobies or pack a bowl for you?