1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Synthax, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Synthax

Synthax

Nov 20, 2011
    SW PA
    So ive been practicing at the bass now for a few days steady, and several hours each day. As per prior post i cant get to an instructor due to working 3 jobs etc, but do have a few hrs a day i can spend at home / job 2 i can play. I have been progressing through the study bass lessons and i also downloaded two truefiretv video lessons for the computer, the one is question is with stuart hamm. My question is about where should i be, i can "do" most of the exercises etc, just nowhere near the speed in the lesson. The on in particular illustrates octaves etc, it gives you a disco groove playing the root and octave up and down the neck some to the audio track. Its 120bpm and while i can get a few notes its not long before i fall off or way behind etc. seeing as this is a beginner course , is this something i should be able to do easily or am i really screwed and will need to amp up more practice time .

Thanks for any advice you may lend

Neil

2. Synthax

Synthax

Nov 20, 2011
    SW PA
    Just re-read my post. will try and phrase my questions a little better tomorrow. This is a lesson to not post a question after 48 hr shift :)

3. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    You need to start slow, say 60 bpm and work up. If you can't play it perfectly slow you'll never be able to play it fast PERFECTLY.

4. Mr pickelz

Mr pickelz

May 11, 2011
    Yeah I have problems with fast grooves all the time, but like the other guy said get a metronome or something (a worthwhile investment) and practice it slowly and work up. If your doing octaves I strongly suggest that you try holding your left hand octave shape up and down the neck.

Hope this helps!