1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Rogue Beatle bass thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Tumi, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Hello all,
    I'm going to try out a used Rogue Hofner copy this evening. Rogue Specific questions: How can you tell if it's made in China or made in Korea? Series I or Series II? The good ones from the bad ones?
    I've got a handle on what to look for, viola/violin bass generally peaking, I'm lookin' Rogue specific stuff.

2. Midday, lunchtime, semi-urgent bump thing.....

3. I can't answer most of your questions - I have the VB-100 and I've followed most threads about them. I'm not aware of any real differences between models.

Just buy the darn thing, put Labella Hofner flats on it, and you'll love it. They're very well made, the pickups are decent, they balance well and they're fun to play.

Here's mine...you might also note that the chrome tuner knobs have been replaced with some white pearloid ones from Stew-Mac. They go nicely with the pickguard. Mine dates from 2006, and I have no idea which version it is.

P1010305.

4. I've got one of the series II versions and love it. Played it with the band last night in fact, very thumpy with flats, great tone, playability. Chinese but who cares?!

5. What an awesome little Bass! Once I got use to the string and fret spacing, I was pleasantly pleased. I'll have more time today to play with it. Some flats are definitely in its future. What is up with the pickguard? The Bass, a mighty fine tweed hard case and a Crate BX25-DLX practice amp that appears to be in good shape for $190. Also, the location wasn't too far off my normal work-to-home route. Not bad!
    :bassist:

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I love mine. The obvious way to tell where is made is to see if it still has the sticker with the country of origin. Mine has a little sticker by the headstock that says "Made in Korea."

I setup mine with TI flats shortscale, and it sounds awesome. I though LaBella flats had too much tension.

Enjoy.

7. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    LaBellas or TI flats make the difference in this bass as any of the beatle clones. I have not tried the TIs yet but the LaBellas dot not feel to tight. With the shorter scale even the heavy strings are pretty easy to play. I am thinking of trying the TIs next but those Labellas seem like they are going to last for a long time.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Strings ,set up and amp make all the difference , just be prepared for a one trick pony. :)

9. I'm still doing my homework on the strings. I'm more concerned about gauging than brand right now. And I've got DR Black Beauties on my TBC and like that nylon coating, so I'm lookin' at flats in Nylon.
    Setup goes without sayin'.
    Since the sound I'm lookin' for, which is as close to upright as possible, and the environment I'll be playin' it in (Bluegrass acoustic, which is as far from my daily choice of genre as you can get), I'm sure one of my small combo amps will help me ride that pony! :bassist:
    I've got some cousins who do that Back Porch pickin' and grinnin' thing on the occasional Sunday afternoon, and I've been wantin' to join "the band".
    And if I decide to cut all my hair off and start a Beatles Tribute Band, then that's just another pony...... :bag:

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Pyramid Golds , Tomastic Jazz flats or hofner strings would be groovy on this instrument. :)

11. Yeah, but what gauge?

12. Yo, Pilgrim!

Which of the Labella flats do you use?
    760FHB2 39 56 77 96
    or
    760FHBB 50 65 80 100

Thanks,

Michael

13. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I like the 760FHBB 50 65 80 100. They get a good full thump with punch. It seems the heavier gauge really helps the bridge and top vibrate to help the tone. You can feel a good vibration from the back of the bass when playing.

14. Boy... I would look so silly playing one of those things.. I like their appearance, I like the tone, and I'm totally sure that the short scale & tight string spacing makes them fast players too... just the 'wrong' body type for me.. More power to the guys that can play these and not appear awkward-looking

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1. I love mine, but only play it at home. The whole design, with the neck/bridge shifted towards the fretting hand, and the strap button located at the 15th fret, makes for an awkward playing position.

But I think it works for skinny people. If you have any sort of belly, forget about it. You'll be experiencing the "guitarron effect."

16. That's what I'm lookin' for in this little beauty. UR Bass-like sound from a light weight, easy to play, attractive package.
    As long as they aren't too thick that the nut and the bridge have issues.

Yeah, that's why I'm only gonna play this in a Back Porch Bluegrass setting with cousins who are a little thick around the middle as well.

17. From now on, I'll shopping at Sam Ash! Today I called around town lookin' for a "someone order them and didn't pick them up" set of Labella (copy/paste) 760FHBB 50 65 80 100 :D
    All the Mom-n-Pops said "No", and the local GC let me talk to 3 people before I got someone to give a model number to, since noone knew "beatle bass" nor "labella". Nothin'! Then I called Sam Ash. I was told by a VERY knowledgable person they didn't have it local, but they had it on the website. Not on the website, so I called the 800 number. It wasn't in their new system. I got both sets for almost 1/2 price each with free freight! :bassist:

Oh, BTW, the SA is right across the street from GC. :eyebrow:

18. So, I've got my Labella Flats from Sam Ash and a set of Pearloid Banjo Tuner Knobs from StewMac on the way.
    I went with the Pearloids since it matches the Control Panel, which leads me to my next question: Has anyone ever
    modified the Control Panel on their Beatle Bass, other than replace it, change the Volume knobs or paint the switches?
    Maybe rounding the corners or something similar?

19. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Just looking at that bass,I owned Turser violins also the stadium violin and a green hofner I was noticing that Rogue I almost bought a seafoam green Rogue violin but the bridge looks like the turser bridge and the pegs look like Hofner Icon?? I was told they are all made byt the same manufacturer not sure about the stadium though,you can probably score a used Icon for about a 100 more or so

20. whatdidhesay?