1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another small rig advice needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by valencia0919, Dec 15, 2011.

1. GK MB500 + GK NEO 210

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. GK RB700ii + Gk NEO 210

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Carvin BX500 + Carvin BRX 10.2N

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Something other than those

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. Hello,
    I've been searching for a small rigs. (Under$1000 preferrably around $800~900)
    And I think I have to decide among:

GK MB500+ GK Neo210
    GK RB700ii + GK Neo210
    Carvin BX500+ Carvin BRX 10.2N

I read a "lot" of nice comments about GK products (and their "growly" sound), and I also saw many good comments about Carvin products. Right now, I use rumble 15(practice amp) and Fender P-bass with flats

I tried out some amps in a few different guitarcenters, but all the basses had roundwounds on, so I am not sure what tone I would get with flats.
    Things I found out:
    1. I do not like GK tones with rounds (too bright and clunky(if that makes sense. I had to use "extreme" eq to make it tolerable).
    2. I kinda liked markbass LM2(but it does not have headphone out).
    I would be grateful if people who those gears give me some advice (comparison, if possible).

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The gkmb500 is one of the most portable, loudest micros on the market... it sounds great too!

That'd be my choice.

3. I voted other, as I'm a big fan of Genz' Shuttle series if you're looking for hi-fi clarity and their STM stuff if you want some tubey goodness, as they're often referred to as the tubiest Class-D/Micro. Any of either the Shuttle or Streamliner lines paired with a NeoX212 or 210 will get you a KILLER rig.

Also, I'm diggin' the Ampeg Portaflex stuff. That PF500 sounds sweet with a great feature set, and the PF350 is simpler but still killer sounding. If you want some SVT looks and the Micro-VR is enough power for you (rated at 200W @ 4 ohms but tested by Bass Gear Mag to be 259W @ 4 ohms) they sound killer paired with 2 of the matching cabs.

The GK stuff is a great option too, but I personally prefer Genz for that more modern tone. No first hand experience with Carvin, so no help there!

4. I also like the Genz Benz, i have a shuttle 6, does the job nicely paired with 2 Bergantino AE 112's, my advice is try as much as you can and don't panic buy, also check out the second hand ads, its a buyer's market now, if you see something in the ads you like, look for a shop that stocks it and try it out.

5. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I voted other as well. I use a GB Shuttle 6.0 and Avatar Neo212. Never tried GK's micro series or any Carvin. I pair my rig with a Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe and have never looked back!

6. Thank you BASSIST, LowEndMan, johnbassdoherty, and FronTowardEnemy. I'll definitely consider what you told me.

People who chose "others", can you please tell me what other options I should consider?
    Thanks a lot.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    GK amp + GK cab is a NO go for me, each are GREAT on their own with another warmer counterpart. Love the GK MB500, Love the GK cabs... just not together.

WAIT for the new Genz Shuttles coming out in the next few weeks & pair those with a GK cab... sometimes GK cabs can go REALLY cheap on Amazon new.

8. Tunaman, where can I find the information about the new Genz shuttles?
    I think I want that warm tone of Streamliner. What 2x10 cab should i match with streamliner 600?

9. if I was going to go light weight I would get a new class D power amp and a preamp into an avatar 212 neo.

10. GK mb500 + GK 410mbe (4 ohm) ;)

Total weight 45 lbs
    Watts - 500

11. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Just for a lark, you might check out Overton as well. The Featherweight 500 looks like a pretty good micro-head (500w @ 4 ohms), but there's no pricing, so it might not be in stock. The've got a 1u rack version for $479. The're fairly new, but look very interesting, and the pricing looks quite aggressively competitive.

I stopped into the House of Blues in Las Vegas a few weeks back and Tony Smith was playing bass with the PJ Barth Band. He was playing through a Featherweight 48 - a 4x8 combo config ($789). Of course he was running DI into FOH so I couldn't really tell you how it sounded by itself, but he had great things to say about it.

Premier Guitar did a micro head round up recently which included the $229 Featherweight 200.