Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Sound Issue...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by greywolf31, Feb 13, 2006.

1. greywolf31

greywolf31

Feb 13, 2006
    Western MA
    Greetings,
    I have a Fender Jazz Bass, American.
    The thing is when I hit my E string it pretty much overpowers any other note I am playing.
    I've lowered the pickup and no change.

Is it the string, or could there be an issue with the Pickup/s?

I have had it professionally setup, so I am confident it is not the setup job, the tech came highly recommended.
    He told me that my body and neck are from different years.

I bought the Bass new in the 80's.

The pickups are original. I would like some suggestions for replacement Pickups? I like the Jazzy sound but I play mostly 80's Rock. (REM, U2, Phantom Rocker and Slick, etc.)

Should I go active or stay passive?
    Which manufacturer do you recommend?

I don't want to do too much experimentation, but I would rather tweak this Bass as opposed to buying a new Bass.

As far as strings go I prefer Groundwound.
    Has anyone tried those nylon strings?

Well that's a bit much to ask for in one post.
    Thanks in Advance for any replies.

Todd

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

if you lower the pup enough it will cut the E string output. It may drop the A too much in the process but you won't know that till it's done.

Highly unlikely there's an issue with the pups. You can turn your amp down low and tap on each pole with a small, steel object (like a pup screw) and check output. My bet is you won't be able to tell the difference. If for some bizarre reason the E poles are pronounced, that would in deed be bizarre and out of line.

If you bought the bass new I wouldn't have concern about the neck. May have been a crossover period, they may have located some old stock, who knows. Fender obviously approved of it so I'd speculate it was a reasonable call. It's not like bodies and necks are a matched pair. It's my understanding they're assembled randomly and the neck plates are just pulled from a bucket in batches with no concern for sequence, so I'm guessing that's reflective of the entire process.

Every instrument has it's unique frequency mix and it may be that the bass just has a thing for the E string. It could possibly be a string thing as well. It could be the A, D, & G are getting choked in the nut. Your tech should be as good of source as any if he meets the standards you believe. He's had the bass. What's he say?

I had a set of Roto Abbey Road Tapewounds and those are thudder strings, dead as you can get, and make TI JF334's sound like fresh pianos.

EQ would be something to look at as well. You can do a lot with EQ - both unknowling accent a tone you don't want as well as put a lid on a tone you don't want. Ideally the bass would be balanced across the board when set flat but that may or may not happen and to me doesn't indicate anything is amiss. What matters is whether the bass works for you whatever it takes to get it.

3. greywolf31

greywolf31

Feb 13, 2006
    Western MA
    Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try...

Todd