1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another squier vintage jazz bass thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by parker_mysterio, Apr 3, 2013.

1. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    Hey, so I am looking at either getting the iv or v bass, but I have heard there is some issues in playing a lower tuning with the neck not being able to handle it, if so can anyone make comment on this? I only play C# as my lowest tuning so it's not ridiculously low.
    If anyone can make comment that would be sweet, cheers

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I see no problem, if you use the right strings the tension can be the same as standard tuning. Go to the strings section and ask which sets are made for drop tuning.

Some folks seem to think using bigger strings for drop tuning puts more tension on the neck, this is not the case unless you use crazy fat strings in standard tuning. However, Steve Harris and others use crazy fat strings in standard tuning with no ill effects.

If you are worried there won't be enoug tension when downtuned, firstly see my first paragraph, then I'd mention that by the time your strings were too loose so as to potentially be a problem you would not be able to play them anyway, too floppy, so unless you left the bass unplayable you'd have nothing to worry about.

3. parker_mysterio

parker_mysterio

Jun 8, 2009
    Awesome thanks heaps for that reply dude, really clears a lot of my questions up, much appreciated

4. I had this one project for awhile where I used my Squier VM jazz for drop tuning. I had it specifically set up with that tuning in mind, and that seemed to make a big difference. It is a great bass, I can't imagine why it couldn't or wouldn't do anything that any other bass can.