1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

any 1980s Yamaha Motion B owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpazzTheBassist, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    I own a Yamaha BX-5 headless five-stringer in my collection that I play live on occasions: Soundwise, as a fingers/slap/tap guy, I play it in single-coil mode and the bass is incredibly clear, punchy, full, and bright (and its passive!) and - my favorite thing - it gets a natural pick-like attack out of finger playing.....I decided to give it a go in the studio for personal use for the first time and I was more than extremely pleased with the results, especially the way its natural "pick-like" attack sat in the track......The BX-5, like all headless basses, arent my faves to play although I refuse to get rid of it.....SOOOO, I was looking at other basses from the late 80s that Yamaha made to see if they had the same pickups...It turns out that Motions have the same pickups, pickup placement, and V/V/T config but I cant find any other info....SO, my questions are:

How do you like the bass?

Have you recorded with it?

Have you ever seen a 5 string version?

Is the Tone-Pot a Push/Pull coil tap?

What techniques do you use?

Thanks in advance

2. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    bump for the later crowd....after which this thread will sink to 'no response' oblivion :D

3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    Hard to find a picture of a 5 string motion bass. Only could find Nathan east’s and it doesn’t have the same pickups
    13658709_623845377779579_1609174334_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI5NTA4MTAzMTI0MjM2MTQ5OQ%3D%3D.jpg

Christanto likes this.
  4. wow 5 string motion!! is it yours sir?

5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    no i’m not nathan east

RodRy and Skillet like this.