Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any 7+ String Slappers Out There?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Jan 13, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'm referring to anything more than 6 strings, obviously. I look at the string spacing and I just can't comprehend people slapping (effectively) a 7 string bass, or 9, or 11 for the love of Mike [Tobias].

I'd love to be proven wrong. That's why I'm looking for video proof that a 7 string (or more) can be slapped effectively. If you want to, you can turn it into a competition to see who can effectively slap the most strings!

Dazzle Me, Extended Range Bassists!

-Eric.

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    *waits for Al Caldwell* :smug:

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  4. Al Caldwell and Bill Dickens slap on their 9 strings. Stew McKinsey slaps on his 8 and 10 strings! :eek:

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    It's not that big a deal once you get used to it. The only thing that, perhaps, complicates things is the muting you have to do with your left hand.

Frankly I don't see how these four string guys jump from the first fret to the 15th just cause they don't have enough strings! :D

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh, yeah

thanks for sharing the info mark :) i need to put you on the payroll heh.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Once I got my mind used to the octave string spacing, I slapped on my GT7 with ease.

8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I slap on my Elrick 7 all the time. I've just played on it long enough now that I don't even think about it.

No video though, sorry.... :D

9. Well, I can't help you on the subject matter. Sorry.

But I must say, John; I'm listening to your instrumental right now, and it sounds awesome. Very inspiring.

10. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I have 17 1/2 mm string spacing. It feels like a really tight Fender Jazz.
    That's the bass I started on so slappin and poping is a matter of just practicing. I use 3 diffrent slap techniques. Larry, Victor and Flamingo style. I'm working on a instructional DVD with Chuck Rainey. He can slap on anything. Slapping a bass is just a technique....Your the master baby!!!!! Hollar at you later!!!! Al Caldwell

11. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    But anyway, according to your post you can slap easily on a 6..but if you just add one more string it gets really really hard all of a sudden?? :eyebrow:

People used the think the earth was flat too you know...it ain't

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks a lot :) glad you dig it

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I thought Trip Wamsley used his big Alembic 8 string mainly for rich chords and lead work, but when I saw him play the other day he slapped it like he does his 4's and 5's - that is to say, amazingly well.

14. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Todd LaJoie took these a few weeks back at the end of Brotherhood of Groove's winter tour.

from the lows,

Stew

15. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Well there you go.

16. what you can't really tell in those pics is that I'm wearing a TalkBass hat at the beginning of the show...

:bassist:

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Here's the hat, and a cool backhand move, you just need to get the Sax player to get used to having a 10 string headstock in front of his face so we can see what you're doing.
    [​IMG]
    I kinda like this one, where Stew's so hot the flames are jumpin right off of his body...
    [​IMG]

{BTW Stew, The ones on my site are the only ones with the e-mail address on them. I only do that on my quick 'for fun' pages, the pics on the CD don't have it, but they are full res. If you want me to resize them for internet use and drop a Zip file on there for you.)

18. ah, the laser pictures... LOL

I don't know if I'm going to send my web guy the full pics or just the copies I snagged from the site. it's up to him.

again, thanks for the photos, Todd. my wife still chuckles and calls me a rock star!

:bassist:

from the lows,

Stew

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The laser one is my new desktop lol :)

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i don't know how you guys slap on anything higher than a five! i have so much trouble slapping on my 6.... i just boils down to practice, cause i can do it, but i just don't want to put in the time for it for me to sound and feel comfy.

my respect to ERB'ers all over!

:)