Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any bassist that you model yourself after?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you write basslines that are of a similiar style to a bassist? Do you intentionally model yourself after a bassist?

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well, lately I noticed that as I write bass lines for my songs and other people's songs, that my use of intervals really spawned from the first bassline I ever learned to play (I don't make it a habit to learn the actual basslines to songs unless they're icon songs like "Come Together", "Money", etc.). The song was the "I will survive" cover by Cake.

The line is for the most part a root, then jump to octave, then fifth and then a minor 7th. There's a little more to it, but for the most part the line is that which follows a circle of fifths till it repeats. Some of my lines reflect this basic little line, though not always.

I didn't intentionally do it and never went out of my way to really model myself after any well known player. I try not to limit myself to what I can and cannot do, including my writing and styles.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I have often found that when I am at a loss for what to play, a simple burst of "What would McCartney do?" usually solves all.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ...People say I look like Geddy :p.. I have a Geddy/Vic/Jaco thing going.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats quite a mix of styles you got there

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    *kicks trash can*

7. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    HEY! None of that, boy. We have rules here.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I hold my bass into the air, and a lightning bolt comes down, transforming me into a ripped-looking bass god who's about 17 feet tall and really cool looking. Somehow, I'm back to looking like my usual self in the next scene though, so I just try to remember what I did when I was in ultra-invinca-mode. If you ever catch me in ultra-invinca-mode, be sure and get me to show you how to play Portrait of Tracy backwards, with your toes. Just don't ask me how to get that clicky fiElDy sound, because remember, I'm 17 feet tall and ripped!!!

:p ;) :D

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you're 17 feet tall, wouldn't playing the bass be like trying to play a reallllly tiny Mandolin or something? Or is part of ultra-invinca-mode also having a proportionately sized bass?

10. I pave my own road :cool:

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I keep a can of Suspension of Disbelief spray handy. It leaves only a slight residue on the bass which is easily wiped off.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    With what? I use steel wool to wipe down my SoD spray. I do wonder why it keeps getting scratched up though: I mean, I don't play it that hard, and I baby it pretty well. Wonder where I'm going wrong?

Is your SoD spray non-abrasive?

13. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    No one can make said clickity sound, save FiElDy. Hush before the Silent Wind of Doom *whoosh* comes over you.

Good day.

I said good day!

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It works best if you huff it.* The small amount that inevitably gets on the bass can be safely removed with a soft cotton cloth or chamois.

*Don't try this at home. Don't anyone try spiking their Sunny D with irony, either! I'm not advocating the misuse of literary devices in any way, shape, or form!

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ah, the Silent Wind of Doom. Aye, I know and fear it well. It's the main reason I avoid riding in the same car as my guitar player. I shall hold my tongue as surely as would I hold my nose, sire!

16. Even though I don't achieve it always, I'm always going for a sort of contrapuntal/melodic approach a la Phil Lesh (specifically the style and sound on "Live/Dead"), James Jamerson ("Bernadette" et al) and Bruce Thomas. Carol Kaye's books and videos have really helped me crack the code going in this direction.

The funny thing is, to get that sound, I almost always end up sitting down; who I want to emulate on stage are people like Watt, Flea, and Robert Sledge. I'm gonna have to learn pretty soon, since I'm going from sitting on a chair by the drummer to being the main singer/songwriter in a band! ;)

17. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I'de hate to sound sterotypical but my styles like Fat mike,Matt Freeman, Ryan Sinn, and Flea. :bag: :D

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I model myself after... myself.

Typically I find a note that isn't really supposed to fit in whatever chord is playing, and then I make it fit. Seriously.

As far as on stage moves go, I try to model myself after this guy => :bassist:

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am thinking of that guy who played bass for Elvis Costello...Bruce Thomas. I'm just going for cool feel, achievable tone, not too over the top, and always trying to make good notes better.

20. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I'm trying to do my own thing so that it doesn't sound like anyone else :hyper: