Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Gibson players out there? do we have enough for a Megathread?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etb67, Oct 21, 2005.

1. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Having a great time finding my way around my Les Paul bass(LPB-1) and was just wondering if anyone else plays a Gibson. Really don't hear much about them. Anyone here love them? hate them? indifferent to them?

2. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Do Epis count? Cuz I have a few of em and I love em as much as my Fenders. :bassist:

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    count me as indifferent.
    tried a couple of t-birds when i was shopping for a new 4-string; and although i liked the sound i couldn't get over the neck weight and the spot where the neck met the body. imho of course.......

4. 69Vette

69Vette

Sep 21, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    I think a Gibson megathread would be a great idea. They've always gotten a bad rap but I love my Gibson (and Epi) basses. And yes, Epis count!

[​IMG]

(Yes, three of these aren't Gibson products, but they're close friends or maybe illegitimate cousins. Can you guess which ones?)

5. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    i know.. it's the birds in the bottom.. greco's and stuff..

6. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Wow! That's impressive! Got a thing for T-Birds huh?

7. Misterpogo

Misterpogo

Sep 8, 2005
    i got a T-Bird Goth.. eppy, i migth add

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    [​IMG]

My '76 Tbird.

[​IMG]

My Epi EB-3L

I also have an Epi Allen Woody Rumblekat, but I don't have a picture of it right now.

9. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I've got a 77 RD Artist, a 74-75 Ripper, and an '87 Custom Shop Thunderbird. Pics to come later (I'm in Korea at the moment).

Alan

10. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of those Nikki Sixx model t-birds when musician's friend was clearing them out for $700 a few years back!

I do have this gibson though, I think everyone is sick of me posting it by now :p

1968 gibson eb-2dc, w/sd quarter pounder and custom paint:
    [​IMG]

11. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    [​IMG]

my 2002 t-bird

12. I used to own an EB-O viola bass but it didn't fit my style both sonically and stylish(even though i love Mountain and Felix Papalardi)so i to guy who just fell in love with it and payed 1800E :D when i told him it was original and none of the hardware were replaced(no wonder why it sounded kinda crappy)Nevertheless the big pickup had given me probably the greatest distorted tones :smug:Does anyone a grabber or ripper i really like them and would like to buy one as well as t-bird(why the hell this bitches are so god-damn expensive??? :mad: )

13. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    I almost bought a used Gibson bass for $50, but the seller backed off :(...

I love most Gibson/Epiphone basses.

14. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    man i had no idea they were I wish i had would have known i so would have bought one.

I have white epi thunder bird

15. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I've got a Blackbird picked it up from musicians friend for $700 love that thing sounds amazing. I've always wanted to pick up a '76 t bird, sg bass, bassIV, well alot of gibson basses

16. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    I have a Ripper that I purchased new in '78. I consider it to be my first pro-grade axe. I also have '92 T-Bird my wife gave me as an anniversary gift. For the last 6-7 years my main bass has been a fretless Alembic Epic 4 which the wife gave me as a birthday gift...damn, I'm blessed in this area. All 3 basses can be seen in the gallery of my band website, www.steamboatjack.net. Sorry, but I don't know how to create a link. I alternate the Gibsons as back-ups and usually play 5 or 6 tunes per gig on them to give my hands a rest from the fretless. The Ripper is heavy as hell and suffers from a mild case of neck dive which is remedied to some extent by a 4" wide strap. I've tried many other basses which were far worse in this area. IMHO it is very versatile tonally after I got used to the 4 way P-up selector. This bass still feels like home to me. MY T-Bird has basically 2 good sounds but they seem to work in most settings I've played in. No neck dive. Every other 'Bird I've tried suffers in this area, maybe I just got a good one. To close, I love my Gibsons and only stopped using them as my main basses because I prefer to play fretless now. Kerry

17. KOakley

KOakley

Sep 26, 2002
    Hampton Va
    Well how 'bout that! Automatic links!!

18. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Yes! My second megathread post. I have an early 70's Grabber in natural. What a baseball bat neck, compared to my Jazz. I lusted after one ever since seeing KISS Alive. I waited over a decade to find one. I got it from a guy who didn't have his Ebay reserve met. He was a couple hours away. Another friend who owns a shop had an original case in his back room. It was my gigging bass for a year, but got retired when I traded for a Victor Bailey Jazz. It now sees the occasional rock out session plugged into my '64 Ampeg SB-12.

19. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I recently picked up a 67 EB2. Its lots of fun to play, and very different playing a short scale (I'm used to playing a Modulus with 35 inch scale). Haven't played out with it yet, but I'm looking for a song that needs the famous 'mudtone'. :smug:

20. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    You could probly start a major thread on the RumbleKat alone, if people would admit they love them. To start some real trouble, I love the EB-O and the EB-3 but only for live performances. I have too much crud to sort out when they are recorded. It could be (probly) just me but the short scale just doesn't work well for direct recording. Buzzes, farts and slight tuning problems. IMHO