1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any ideas to prevent my quick from being torn up after thumb position?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by BassMozart, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BassMozart

BassMozart

Apr 3, 2013
    Hey folks, new member here! I need some ideas.
    After doing thumb position more than an hour or so, my quick (and finger skin beyond that) gets torn up and painful. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to man up?
    Thanks!

2. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    where does the string sit on your thumb when you play? it should be (depending on who you talk to) somewhere behind the fingernail and before the knuckle.

Also, talk to your teacher about it.

eerbrev

3. BassMozart

BassMozart

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks eerbrev. That is typically where it is, but I guess I slip now and then.
    I have talked to my teacher, but he had no ideas.

4. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    take a rest for a day or two for it to heal a bit then get back into it. Remember to stretch your hand as well.

5. One solution once you let it heal might be to multi task, ie to spread your practice more and spend less (but still very focussed) time in thumb position. You might also wear a plastic Bandaid part of the time while you are developing a callous.

How high are your strings off the fingerboard in basic thumb position? Can they be lowered more? Ask your teacher.

Cheers,
    DP

6. BassMozart

BassMozart

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks guys!
    My action is quite low, I don't think more would be advisible.

7. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    If it ain't a technical issue, this might just be growing pains. Invest in some Newskin, and come up with a lie about a knife fight (you should see the other guy) in case anyone asks why your thumb is bleeding.