1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Info On Fender Jazz Bass Prototypes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gregstj114, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Are there any pictures of a surviving prototype or from 1959 showing the prototype? I've only seen the picture of the prototype 5-pole pickup that was on the Jazz Bass at that time. And I've already seen Herbie Flowers "1959" Fender Jazz Bass. So if anyone has pictures of the prototype and additional information about them, that would be great!

2. Bump? I know this is very old, but I love the history behind not just Fender, but all basses. Are there any video/sound clips of the '59 Jazz prototype? And how about photos? I'm also curious to know what the prototype of the Precision looked like, along if there are any photos, video, and audio clips. Did Leo Fender develop the Precision in 1949 or 1950? I'm such a geek when it comes to learning the history behind the bass guitar, so thanks for any additional info! :)

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I think I've heard that most older Fender prototypes were destroyed shortly after production started.

4. Damn, to bad they did that. I'm sure a lot of people would've loved to see them and what they originally came from.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I've seen a prototype for the Coronado bass, it's at Art Music in Vevey. Most protos were destroyed, AFAIK.

6. Seems ta me I read an interview wit Joe Osborn. He said the Jazz bass Leo first sent him, and always his main axe back then, was dated March, 1959. And that it was most likely a prototype. The article first appeared in Guitar Player mag in April of 74. I read it in a book called Bass Heroes, an anthology of interviews an articles of the days' bass guitarists. That proto is probably the most famous, and documented, if only for the volume of high quality, high profile work Mr. Osborn did.

7. cherineip

cherineip

Dec 22, 2017
    I have a vintage jazz bass with a metalic label at the back with wording "pure vintage series" and "manufacturing prototype". Is it easy to find this kind of product in the market? 1513968759428-150728937.

Attached Files: