1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any info on peavey amp and cabnet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by turbo2256b, Nov 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    Got a call about a Peavey amp and speaker cabinet no model # yet. cabinet has 3 speakers, 2 10" and a 16 he said 18 but not sure about that. Can set it to play all the speakers, just the 2 10" ones or just the larger one seperatly. Any idea or info on this set up. Should find out more next week as he left town for a few days.

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Known as 1820 cabs for 1x18 on bottom with 2x10's on top. I've played through a few that I thought were pretty dope sounding. It is biampable or straight up. I believe that they're rated at 250 watts.

de1orean likes this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    They were an interesting offering back in the day when bi-amping was popular. IIRC those cabs had two 10" Scorpions up top (side by side) with an 18" Black Widow below. By today's standards I wouldn't rate them higher than good/okay in any particular area, especially using a ratio of weight and size vs SPL or quality of tone produced. If the cab still has its original speakers it's likely that they are nearing the end of their useful life and would probably need a re-coning or replacement.

If a trip down memory lane is all you'd be looking for, it might be a fun investment. As a useful gigging option I think there are much better and easier to move options available today. FWIW I was a big Peavey user (bass combos and PA components) back in the 70's - 90's and always had great luck with their gear.

4. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    Guy said he wants about 400 for it and the amp used at his church. If he is at his shop going to find out exactly what the amp is.
    Currently dont gig but it would be easier to move than my eliminator bass reflex cabinets I use. Band I WAS IN WAS using the eliminator Pa they blew up when the restaurant upstairs turned on their dish washer. I ditched the horns and installed JBL bass guitar speakers.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    2ltkewh-.

Al Kraft and LiquidMidnight like this.
  6. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    Thats what the back looks like. Also everything looks clean nothing scuffed up guessing it wasnt drug around to different venues often maybe just at the church.

7. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    i wouldn't pay anything close to $400 for that cab. they were everywhere in the '90s and sell for $150-200 now. I might bite at $100, personally, but in general 18s are too flabby for me.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The price includes an amp.

9. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    apologies, i missed that.

Munjibunga likes this.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whether it's a good deal is still up in the air.

BassmanPaul and Al Kraft like this.
  11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I ran a cab like that in the early 2000s
    Drove it biamped with a Cravin R1000
    500 watts each way and play a G&L 2500
    It worked very well for me just too heavy lol
    Duke

12. Whil57

Whil57

Aug 7, 2013
    Long Island
    I had one, sold it. Went looking for another a few monthes back, but two i saw up for sale one was to far to drive, the other sold before i could get it. Heavy in weight but worth the Black Widow or Scorpions the were made with. I believe in 1983 new they were 300. But i bet they can handle way more than they are rated for. Why i wanted one back was because almost everything now is twice that new, and imported.

13. Smogcity

Smogcity

May 12, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I ran a peavey cab all through the '90s with 2x18 and 2x10all in one cab.. Truth be told, that (and my GK 400RB head at the time) sounded amazing and was 100% bullet proof.

There is NO value to these cabs anymore. more often than not, they are on CL for $100 and folks just want them out of the garage. $400 is way too much, but at the correct price they are great!

de1orean likes this.
  14. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I paid 50 for mine. Other than the size it's a great cabinet. Using the crossover it's only good for 200 watts, but, Biamped is different. The 18" black widow is rated at 350 watts RMS and the Scorpions at 200 each. So theoretically it should handle (between the two Biamped) closer to 700 watts (750 RMS) but I wouldn't push it. It can get very loud Biamped.
    20170929_185254.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  15. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    If you do bite on this, and the speakers seem a little past their prime (dried out brittle surrounds) remember that the Black Widow 18" and Scorpion 10" spkrs have field replaceable cones. If you can turn a hex key, and don't have ADD, you can bring them back to brand new for a minimal investment and 30 minutes time.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  16. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Somebody tell him how much this beast weighs!

If the amp is a Peavey Mark 4, (same era of gear) pass.

You can do so much better for $400.

de1orean likes this.
  17. Peavey also made a cab with 2x8 and a 15 like the 2x10 and 18. I had the 2x8 and 15 back in the day, it too was great and bullet proof, just heavy. The Black Widow and Scorpions have what Peavey called "Field Replacement Cones" that you can replace the paper part with allen wrench. Peavey use to still make the replacement parts, I don't know if they do now. But I had to get some for a couple 10" ones back in the day for a 4x10 cab I had that was built into a road case (Peavey made it that way, great cab)

18. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I just replaced a blown up crossover cap in one of these a few weeks ago. There's no way I'd throw 400 watts RMS into those 10's. Darn cabinet was so heavy, the wheels were half ruined, which made it a beast to even move around the shop.

19. I like the big, crude, old Peavey bass heads but wouldn't pay over $100 for one. I owned 2 1820 cabinets and ended up giving them away to be used in an upcoming episode of "Tiny Houses."

jazzbass_5 and de1orean like this.
  20. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    The 3620 I used to have could have been a "tiny house"

Al Kraft likes this.