Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Kydd EUB owners out there

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jongor, Feb 5, 2004.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I'm thinking about trying to build me one of these bad-boys, you know homebrew style.

If you own one of these and are willing to answer a few questions please contact me.

My main questions right now are:
    Is there a truss rod?
    What are some of the dimensions of the neck?

:help:

thanks

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I played one a while back....it did indeed sound like a popsicle stick. Amplified, it sounded like a really loud popsicle stick.

3. Mizpah

Mizpah

Sep 27, 2007
    Hudson Valley NY
    I know this is a very old threadbut I've only just come across it.
    If you're still interested, I have a Kydd and I'd be pleased to give you all the answers I can.

4. DComtois

DComtois

Jan 10, 2010
    Methuen, MA
    I've had one for about 2 years and all my band mates (2 bands) love the sound. I have 2 Fishman BP100 pickups under the bridge and then into a Fishman Pro EQ II. The lows are sweet but I'm still looking to get more mid growl.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    OEM Sales, Customer Service at Aguilar Amplification
    I used the 30" Carry-On (mine was a 6 string version) for the better part of six years and it sounded great. Most people couldn't believe the sound and when I played it in a theatre pit setting, the audience really couldn't tell (nor did they care I would imagine).

I thought for years about building one and selling the Kydd. It "looks" to be fairly straight-forward, as long as you have some woodworking ability.

6. Properly amplified, my Big Kydd 5-string was a great-sounding instrument and fun to play. They're very easy to carry about!

7. bmabe

bmabe

Nov 28, 2012
    I shattered my left wrist and forearm last Oct. I cant get my left wrist around my old Kay anymore. I went to a Kydd EUB and I love it! Nothing but compliments from the band and the crowd. Roy Clarke thought it sounded awesome!! What a compliment. Bruce Kaminsky is a great guy to deal with too. I'd recommend this bass to anyone. For myself, I like it better than the NS

8. I am sorry to hear about your injuries, but glad to hear that you're not letting them keep you from shaking the floor!