1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any luck with contesting parking tickets?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Here is the story, I was in Philly today and I knew time was running low on the meter, so I hurried back to the car. There is a parking ticket on my windsheild. I was pretty pissed. I looked at the meter, it was flashing zero.

Now here's the interesting part. The time on the ticket said 7:11PM, but when I looked at my phone, it only said 7:10!!

Any possibility that parking attendant was there close to 7:11, thought i was going to be late and just wrote the ticket? If so, how well do you think that will stand up in traffic court?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Weird. Maybe the clock was wrong for the parking attendant. Perhaps you could get it dismissed on faulty equipment. That would be the defense I would use. Did you take a time stamped photo of the discrepancy?

-Mik

3. tr68gt

tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    I know it's pretty bad that this kind of thing happens, but it does. I'm sure the cop is thinking "He won't contest it".

Now it's up to you, is it really worth your time to contest this?
    The cops are bettin' it's not.

4. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i didn't have a camera on me, so no proof.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If the price of the ticket is worth your time to go to court, then go for it. Without any proof, I don't see how you will win. Just saying that it was not written accurately won't win you the case.

-Mike

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, around here, a parking ticket is 5 dollars... My friend got one, because we just didn't have quite enough change. Well, we got a ticket, so we just paid it... In change. We stuffed that little envelope FULL with change and mailing taped it all up like 3 times. It took us about 2 minutes to get it into on of those little yellow boxes they have around town to pay tickets...

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    ticket is $26

8. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

IMO, $26 doesn't seem too worthy of the effort to fight the ticket, unless this ticket has other serious ramifications.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is robbery, but to fight it would be even worse.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    If you do go to court, be sure to drop your pants and back in...:D

11. I would just pay it. Even if you win and not have to pay the $26.00, more than likely it will be time away from work. Assuming you have a day job.

The meter maids are a lovely bunch and live to write you up. You would have to be there and catch'em in the act in order to get away with that one. I don't think the time stamp on the ticket would hold much water, unless of course you happen to synchronized your watches beforehand.

Anything else is your word against theirs, and lets face it, you should have been there before it expired, not when it's about to expire. Stuff happens.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pay the $26. Eat cheap for a few days. It's much easier than contesting that ticket.

My parents got a $50 parking ticket when visiting me at school. My parents and grandparents went inside to use the bathroom, left the car parked outside for seven minutes, and were ticketed for not displaying a permit in permit parking. They disputed on the grounds that my 73 year old grandmother tripped walking to the building on a crooked sidewalk, and instead of opting to sue my college, she just chose to park closer to relieve herself. All and all, the president of the college forgave them of the offense, but six weeks later, I'm still being bothered by campus safety about paying it.

13. I have a buddy who has an uncle that is a supreme court judge in British Columbia...

I learnt the in's and out's of fighting tickets :). Throwing your ticket out of court is cheaper than paying a cop overtime. If the US's are similar to Canada's atleast.

Edit: I've only had to fight one ticket... and they didnt even take it to court, they just dropped it. But I took pictures.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I was issued a ticket for parking facing east on the west-bound side of the street. A valid reason to issue a ticket. But what made me angry about it and contest it was that my hazard lights were on, and my truck was still running. That should have told the meter maid that I was going to be right back. I was running one document in to our lead partner (I'm a runner for a law firm). When I took the ticket in to pick up a form for appeal, they assumed that it was for one of the attorneys, and they would be happy to appeal it. After I turned in the form, they read it and realized it was for me, and told me that I would have to pay the fine plus late fees. This was the same day the ticket was issued.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just got a parking ticket today. I was parked on a side of a street which was apperently prohibited to park on. There was a no-parking sign but it was right next to a fire hydrant. In the area, all the other no-parking sings were right next to the fire hydrants too, so I assumed that the signs were there for the hydrants only. I parked a good 15meters from the fire hydrant. That is why I think if I contest it, I should be able to win.

Is it worth it to contest it if the ticket is only 42 Canadian Dollars? That's about 37 USD.

edit: there was also yellow paint on the curb of the sidewalk near the firehydrant. In Montreal, this yellow paint on curbs means we cannot park there. Why would they put yellow paint where we cannot park if one apperently cannot park on the entire length of the street, not just where the yellow paint is. That was my logic when I parked away from the yellow paint.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd love to fight the power and contest parking tickets...but in the end, the hassle isn't worth it.

17. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

That sucks. Around here the no parking signs have these little arrows on them indicating which direction no parking is in and on each end of the no parking zone there is a no parking sign with the arrow pointing in only one direction so you can tell where the zone ends.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

18. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Last time I went to Croatia on holiday, they had these meters where you use your mobile phone to pay for parking, you just SMS your rego and they charge your phone bill. Five minutes before it expires you get a warning SMS and an option to extend it. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Sorry for the derailment:)

19. One time I plead insanity. I told the judge, "Who in their right mind would park on the sidewalk?"

- Dave

20. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Take a good look at your ticket and make sure it is for your car.

Around here people like to take a parking ticket and put it on someone else's car .

A lot of people have paid parking tickets that never belonged to them in the first place