1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any problems running an AI Focus at 2 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Lobaw, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hey folks, I've got 2 Acme Low BI cabs which are 4 ohms each. I saw from the AI website that you can run the Focus down to 2 ohms and it is, apparently, stable. I've been using my Acme cabs in a stereo configuration, so I've never run into any problems. I really liked the sound of the AI head with the Acme cab and would like to run the Focus with both cabs as needed. I double on URB and electric with a low B, but more often, these days, have been playing electric.

Any thoughts on whether I'll fry the amp when powering the 2 Acme's with the head on a demanding long night?

Thanks for any help.

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have routinely run both an original Focus and the current Series III Focus amp into a 2-ohm load consisting of either two Schroeder 4-ohm 1-12 speakers or two EA Wizzy 110 speakers with no problems at all. I have not tried to get the absolute maximum volume out however since the volume is plenty high even with the input and master volume controls running at around Noon. Of course, both of these speakers are considerably more efficient than the Acme's--whose sound I love BTW--so I would proceed with some caution if you think you'll need to crank the amp up full. Rick Jones has told me that there are internal circuit breakers that will protect the amp from any serious damage should the load/heat get too high. This is also discussed on the Acoustic Image web site.

Erik Hansen

3. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I too have powered 2 EA Wizzy M-line 12's playing pretty loud BG gigs w/o any problems using an AI Focus 2r III. Works well w/ 1 M-line and the Wizzy 10 on top as well.

BG

4. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, Erik. It's always a problem running amps at 2 ohms and it seems that the Acme's are especially difficult on amps, but I do like them. I will go back to the AI web site and take a look at the info. I thought I'd read everything that was relevant, but nothing compares to hearing about someone's gigging experience.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    I've run two Wizzy 10 cabs with a Focus 1 Series III on loud nights with a bluesrock band and it did very well. As long as a cab's published impedance is accurate, the Focus won't have any prob with a two ohm load.

And as far as frying it... there is circuit protection, if it exceeds allowable current it will shut down to protect its output devices.