Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any Rabbath cats play Crazy Course

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Just wondering if any of you know Crazy Course.... if so....what's the chord he's sliding around in the beginning ? I don't have computer w/audio capabilities to listen to the snippet on Liben's site in my studio at home...so playing along with it ain't an option (boooooooo hissssssss) until I buy the album

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

2. sounds like the exact same chord in "Equation du Temps"

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I don't have access to it either, so my thoughts may be worthless...but I want to recall that it's just a 3 note pattern. Don't know the real key, so I'll call it in D. Just D, E and F up and down, but all played with a corresponding maj5 on top of each of those notes for a little "wake the listener up" dissonance (and double stop practice). Try that and see what happens.

I'm a big Rabbath fan too btw... :bassist:

4. Hey man, yeah I figured it out the other day while farting around, pretty sure it is in D, however it's a more chromatic slide, D, Eb, F....it sounds great...i'm a huge Rabbathian too, love his approach to playing and compositions

5. oops I meant D, Eb, E

6. it's also a major 3rd thrown on top

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah I jerked around with it a little last night while practicing...trying the maj5 on top...and it didn't sound like I recalled it needing to sound per the recording. I didn't do any more fishing (instead practicing those 3 octave scale fingerings I still suck on my intonation when I have to shift from my pinky to my index finger on lower position half-steps and slide around to find it too much rather than shifting right to it) and was just going to tell you that I was wrong but you beat me to it LOL

I'll try the maj3 and move it chromatically instead of as a min3 thing.

Glad you figured it out and thanks for correcting me!

PS check out Frank Proto's music that Rabbath plays if you haven't yet it's killer stuff too!

8. Hey man no prob. hammer away at those scales ! I need to set more time aside on those too, i'm just so damn busy learning all these Glenn Miller, Ellington tunes right now for a swing gig it's consuming my whole life!! ha ha ha....and yeah I love the Proto stuff he's insane! one of my fav composers for sure, hey have you by any chance done any workshops with Rabbath, there's one he does in Quebec every summer i'm hoping to go down next year, my teacher says many of her students are changed for life

9. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Changed for life? I don't doubt it!

No never been to the workshop...only been as far north as Montreal there. Beautiful weather there in the summertime.

I did see him perform recently at U.T. He was there for a week dishing out masterclasses but I wasn't able to attend those. He played a mix of things...a little Bach, some of his own work, and Proto's Paganini variations. It was awe-inspiring...but not enough to motivate me to leave the German bow LOL

Best of luck on your big band swing gig!

10. cool man, yeah the Paganini variations is absolutely insane....I started with French bow, but am now moving towards German, all that super quick spiccato stuff he does with the french is beyond me, I can pull it off only with the underhand grip for some reason ??? my arm is much looser and relaxed that way, i've often wondered about getting his "Art of the Bow" DVD, Mark Dresser recommended it to me, thing is if i'm rockin' with the German bow now, is the stuff he's showing still relevant ? i'm sure there's lots of info to take in., and hey thanks for the luck! it's funny we're doing big band classics but in duo format, contrabass/alto sax

11. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah I think it's relevant. The only thing that differs significantly is the way your hand holds the bow...the rest, as far as pivot points, are pretty much the same IMO even if the forearm faces differently.

Twist your forearm and you still have your wrists, your fingers, and your elbow free to move.

Duo? Yeah I did some duos with a guitarist. We both sang harmonies too it was a blast sounds like fun man. With just the two of you, you've got a lot more control over the material and how you are going to play stuff. Trying different ideas out and figuring out how to do it was a lot of fun for me.