Any relation...Behringer/Ashdown???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockBoxBass, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

Has anyone noticed the similarities to the Behringer Bx3000T and the Ashdown Mag300? Is this the same head or what? Does anyone know if they are, one in the same, or is this just a coincidence that the controls are near identical?? I tried the Behringer, and could not believe how good it sounded. Much like the Ashdown.........Hmmmm
  2. Behringer may have 'borrowed' ashdown's style and tone, just like the similarity between the Line 6 pod and pod XT, and their v-amp range. Also notice the difference (or lack of) in the Hartke cabs, and their new range.

Not having a pop at them though, and who wants my ashdown MAG? ;)
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago're opening a can of worms... (i.e. Yes (to put it lightly), it's been noticed...)
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  5. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Uh Oh.....

*pulls jacket over head and runs out of the room*
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    PM Bob Lee and ask him about the similarities between Behringer and QSC amps.
  7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't think they look similar at all.

They're as different from one another as Fenders are from Essexes. :ninja:
  8. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Whatever. So they're a ripoff of the MAG series. They sound downright incredible! The tone is good enough to reside in an amp costing 5 times as much.
  9. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I have nothing to say, but I wanted to get a seat ...
  10. wahyong

Dec 22, 2003
    according to my dealer, it's supposed to be a copy of the redhead... :eyebrow:
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah serriously!

If I spent tons of money and time trying to research how to make a damn fine amplifier I wouldnt see a problem with someone taking all my work and using it for their own profit while hurting mine.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Please don't do that!!!! I can only hope that Nick man was kidding... Bob Lee is a great guy and a huge asset to TalkBass and certainly doesn't deserve that...
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nah, Bob Lee likes to educate. He'll explain in detail how Behringer not only ripped off QSC's design, but also plagiarized portions of QSC's owners manual that Bob Lee himself wrote.

Behringer = The Devil . . . just like Foosball . . . :spit:
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Was he a car dealer before :smug:
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Now this is the most entertaining thing I've seen in these type of threads!! :D
  16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

oh boy ,
    another Behr***er thread ...
    original design , or design rip-off ??
  17. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    It's been about three weeks.

Hey Meissner...hold my seat. I'll go grab us some beers.
  18. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well let me see. The fact that they copied somebody's product is rather ignoble, but once again I fail to see how amplifiers are much different than basses.

You play several Fender "clones", correct? Now, I'm not picking on Warmoth/Valenti here, as they pay Fender for the shapes/names. But, how are basses like SX, KSD, Lakland, Sadowsky, Lull, Pensa, Celinder and etc any different from Behringer? Please don't tell me THOSE brands aren't completely based off of the Fender originals, and please don't claim they don't hurt Fender's sales. And just think of all the companies that make their own copies of the P and J (heck, the MM too) pickups. Leo Fender must be rolling in his grave.

On the upside, maybe all these high quality Jazz clones will encourage Fender to become competitive again. I know their MIJ stuff is extremely nice stuff for the bread, and that's pretty encouraging. But, I feel their Corona "custom" shop still needs to get with the program, as Sadowsky and their peers are absolutely killing them.

In the same vein, after I played the Behringer amp, I looked it up on TB and found the huge controversy surrounding it. I seriously considered the MAG300 after reading about it being the DNA sponsor for the Behringer. Perhaps direct competition isn't so bad after all.

Here's an idea: maybe Ashdown blundered by farming out the MAG series to China. If they were still "handmade" or whatever in England, Behringer wouldn't be able to compete on the same level with their Chinese BX3000t. But now, Ashdown is playing Squier to Behringer's SX, not a good situation.

Now, I'm not trying to defend Behringer, as I'm sure they fell off the ethics fence some time ago. But, I seriously cannot comprehend how people rip on Behringer and Behringer alone, when this type of copying goes on throughout the music equipment biz. Does anybody actually think that Fender wouldn't sell more basses if all the J clones weren't flooding the market?

P.S., This is all my personal opinion. Feel free to disagree.

P.P.S., I don't want any death threats! :bag:
  19. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    It all comes down to money. I would guess that to save money on the external design, Behringer copied the the Ashdown.

To save money internally, the BX3000 is a very poor amplifier.
    You get what you pay for and there is a reason their so cheap!
  20. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

I guess I did open a can of worms. I'm new to TB (it does kick a..). In my never ending search for new gear, I stubbled upon this Beh/ash similarity. I did not know of the controversy that is looming. My only real question was....are they the same amp with different clothing? Was the Beh. farmed out? Having every "named" amp under the sun, I was suprised at how good the Beh sounded. But....I do have to question its reliability. I play 5 nights a week/ 5 hours a night. Reliability is NUMBER 1.2. Sound is number 1. at appro. $200, Its a throw away when it breaks. Looking at the reviews, it has a very high reliability rating. (better than Ashdown). I guess...if sounds good, and it holds up, play it.
    Who cares anyway.....the real tone is in the hands.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.