1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any tube amp combo out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adelleda, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Adelleda

Adelleda

Apr 19, 2009
    Mexico City.
    I do not even mind if it is a guitar one, but i need a combo tube amp.
    Any suggestions?
    Big budget.

2. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
  3. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Tube combo you say?

Since you have a big budget, I'll throw out these two:

Ampeg B15R
    http://www.ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b15/index.html
    B15R_LG.

Pignose B100V
    [​IMG]

Not sure about the Ampeg, but the Pignose is no longer in production. Of course with enough cabbage you should be able to score one used :ninja:

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mesa / Boogie Buster.

200004_122b_depth1.

5. If you are going tube, may I please ask the question of "Why a combo and not head + cab?".

Just curious.

Ox.

6. Adelleda

Adelleda

Apr 19, 2009
    Mexico City.
    Mainly portability and the fact that i don't have to connect too much things around. Also, maybe it is just in my head but combos have always sounded better to me.

All of the options look delicious, oh yes.. decisions decisions.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i think it's a shame tube bass combos have gone the way of the dodo. there's been some really good ones in the past. oh well, i got my b-15n, what do i care? ;)

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I understand the portability bit, but I do think that "combos sound better than head\cab" is definitely in your head... If you open yourself up to that, there are a lot of AMAZING tube bass amps out there. If you want to play guitar through a tube amp, there are lots of combos to choose from (I like Fender tube amps personally). But I'd never play bass through any guitar amp, personally...

I may be a bit confused as to what you're looking to do, here?:confused:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i would but only in the studio or maybe for a little edgy grind thing combined with a bass amp. certainly not to carry a band with bass.

but i agree...there is a lot more in the tube world to choose from if you go head/cab. as far as combos sounding better than amp/cabs, a lot of combos have the same heads you can buy separately, and the cab really doesn't care whether it's in a combo or by itself. you build a cab with the same speaker(s) and same dimensions, it's going to sound the same whether it's a combo or a separate.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Unfortunately all those tube combos pictured above have been discontinued.
    They do show up used tho....

I have a B-15R, and I'll be the first to tell you portability is not easier than a separate head+cab. It's heavier to lift. But I do love the thing.

11. The Orange Tiny Terror is a tube amp for guitar that is available in a combo form. Only 15w though. There are some bass demos of a Tiny Terror on the forum.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Mesa buster is an awesome choice, can be had as a 1x15, or 2x10 wedge. Heavy as, well, heavy and a bit unweildy, but tone to die for. Ampeg B15, or B15r is also a great choice, and has more of the old school fat warm round tone than the mesa.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't forget the old Trace Elliot Twin Valve Combo. Here's my first Twin Valve Combo (which I still have; I bought a second one, which also came with a rack for the "head") next to my first Pignose B-100v (which I sold, but recently replaced with another B-100v).

IMG_1951.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You can also order an Alessandro Basset Hound as a 1x12 combo. I've never tried one of these (in head or combo form), and they are pretty darned expensive, but at least they keep the possibility of an all-tube bass combo out there! :D

I'd love to see a low-cost option like the Pignose back on the market. Despite the powerful movement towards smaller/lighter gear, I am seeing a resurgence in all-tube bass heads, so a combo option may not be so far-fetched.

Tom.

15. Hmm, should I go with the original wood, or step up to the solid gold? Only about $47,400 difference.

16. Adelleda

Adelleda

Apr 19, 2009
    Mexico City.
    I just record in the studio and rarely play very small clubs.
    Also take into consideration i have back problems so..

17. this is probably just a superstition. But me and several other bass players I know put our tube heads on the ground or on a stool. anywhere but on the amp. We all agree that massive lows and tubes shouldnt be too close to each other.
    Seems to me that the low freqs could vibrate the plates and grids enough to affect the distance between the two and impart some artifact to the sound.
    Yeah I know its a vacuum in them there tubes. But sound is also transmitted through the solid parts of your amp. (sound travels faster through denser mediums).
    I swear I get a tighter sound this way. That and I don't rattle the head off the cab anymore. But if you arent playing at concert volume I suppose a combo would be fine.

Mesa made two versions of the buster combo, straight and wedge. There are of course the Ampeg fliptops as well. Older Traynors are wicked good. check out the YBA-2, 2b, YBA-4 and YBA-5.
    Though the YBA-2's used odd tubes like 6BAqs and 6V6's and werent very high watts.
    YBA5 MKII is the (infamous) YBA 1a in a combo. 90 watts from two el34s and you would swear its 200watts.
    I would stay away from silverface Fender combos. The ones I have owned and used all had major issues. Though when they work they sound sweet. I think the bad rep of the silverface fenders is where the post-CBS buyout stink came from. Most post CBS basses are fine, its the amps that were dogs.
    and yes I hade several silverfaces, so I speak from experience. It took me a while to learn that there was a reason they were easy to come by.

18. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    +1

I'd like to see the same, for example, a Peavey VB2 combo with a 15" neo driver to keep the weight down. I'd be very interested in something like that.