Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any volunteers in the NY area?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Without making this too long a story - here's my deal:

Someone lent me a bass in summer. He's very famous too - which makes this story more interesting to me. The bass needs strings, and I think a lot of other help. Before making any kind of major investment (meaning anything over $200 to me) I needed to know if it is worthwhile. I called this guy several times and left detailed messages telling him I was considering buying or or fixing up the bass. He doesn't return my calls. I nearly pleaded with him to return my call. I'm on my own now.....

Considered buying a new DB but can't fit it anywhere in here as I live in a very small place. Anyhoo... the point:

I'm paralyzed in regards to this bass. It stands against the wall, it's really difficult to play, and I don't know if I should take the gamble of having it fixed up. What I'd like is - first, I guess any thoughts on what you would do in my situation - second, anyone in my area who wouldn't mind stopping by my place one day to take a look at this thing and tell me if it's even worth putting any money into if I were to take the plunge. I'd transport it somewhere but I haven't a case, it's cracked pretty badly in the back, and it's a huge pain in the butt to get into my civic.

Thanks.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Where you at? What neighborhood?

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm in sheepshead bay. A block away from Lundies and the Bay.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I played Lundies about 10 years ago.

Sorry, Joe. I don't got a car anymore, so getting to downstate Brooklyn is gonna be a little hard.

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    That's ok. I appreciate the thought.

6. Hey Joe....can you take a few pictures of the bass and post them? Maybe we can come up with something.

7. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com