1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any walkabout scout 1x15 fans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joshuadriller, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    How are these amps? I heard about them for the first time tonight. Are they solidstate or tubes?

2. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    ????

3. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    2 tubes in the pre. Very cool sounding combo. The 15 works well for more vintage sounds, I perfer the 12 overall, but the 15 can move some lowend. Look on the mesa web sight, get all the info.

4. I tried them side by side at a Guitar Center and ended up by the 12. In fact the Scout has replaced my Mesa 400+.

5. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I ended up with the 12 too but only because from what I read here it didn't lose that much from the 15 but was easier to transport, and easy trasport was the reason I wanted it in the first place.

6. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    Does 1x12 have 2 tubes in the head also?

7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Yes, same amp just different size cabinet.

8. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    How's the volume? A 1x12 doesn't seem as though it would be loud enough for me. (I currently play through a gk 2x10 combo)

9. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
  10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have the 1x15 and I love the sound, but can't manage the avoirdupois. It's 65 lb with one small strap handle on top. Here is a pic in its combo configuration:

Mesa-BoogieWalkaboutScout1x15.

I have played outdoor gigs with it without any problems being heard. In fact, I got compliments from the audience, which hardly ever happens to a bass player -- or, at least, this bass player.:D

The tone can be EQ'd to sit in the mix so you don't have make everyone's ears bleed to be heard.

For now I'm using it as a head, with two 10" G-B boxes (13 lb + 2x16 lb) which is more manageable (I'm getting around in a wheelchair following major surgery -- but still getting out to play).

Here's what that looks like:

GodinandMesa.

Check out the thread linked earlier. Most of us who have one love it. I won't sell mine.

11. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
  12. BongoFury

BongoFury

Aug 22, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I love my 1x15. While some say it's tough to tame the lows, I never found it to be much of an issue. I usually have the bass at 10 o'clock. It has held its' own without PA in a 150-200 person room no problem.

I wanted a single amp/cab solution for gigging and I felt the 15 would work better than the 12. I have no regrets.

13. Joshuadriller

Joshuadriller

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    The 1x15 only weighs 65? I thought it was more than that...?

14. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Tame the lows? Why?

The amp has a bass control and a parametric eq to 30hz to 300hz +- 15db. What are "THEY" talking about?

15. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    You can get an extension cab and it'll be a 2x12 stack, if you get the 8ohm version Walkabout combo. If you get the 4ohm combo, you can run an extension, but at your own risk. People have run it at 2.67ohms (the 4ohm combo w/ an 8ohm extension cab) and not had problems, but Mesa doesn't advise it. The head is designed to run a 4ohm minimum load.