1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody Ever Painted A Pedaltrain Pedalboard Before?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass10bfb, Oct 9, 2018.

1. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    So, I was thinking I might get a PT Pedalboard later, and I was thinking how cool it would be to have it match my Aguilar Chocolate Thunder cabs. Has anyone ever painted a PT board before, and if so, what did you use and how did it turn out?
    I have contacted a couple of companies about doing it, and the paint job costs as much or more than the PT board itself. The bigger the board is obviously the price can get outrageous quick.
    So anybody have a DIY project that can fill me in on? Thanks in advance for the help and God Bless!!!

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. mmon77

mmon77

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I tried sanding/painting one for a friend and it never held up. If you want any kind of longevity/durability of the finish, I'd look into getting it powder coated instead.

I've never had it done to a pedal board, but I used to repair/maintain arcade machines, and I had it done to several parts that I got tired of repainting all the time. If I remember correctly, it only cost me around $60 to get a set of handlebars for a motorcycle game cleaned/stripped and powder coated. They lasted until we got rid of the game too.

You may still end up in the "more than the cost of the board" situation, but, if it were me, I'd rather pay and do it once the right way.

ppiluk and bass10bfb like this.
  3. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Thanks for the info brother!!!! I am like you for sure. I would rather pay and have it done right if it cant be done right as a DYI project. Thanks for the info!!!

4. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Anybody else have any info or anything to share?? Thanks in advance!!!!

5. Used to be loads of modded pedaltrains here and at TheGearPage... before the photobucket crash.

bass10bfb likes this.
  6. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Anybody else got anything?? Thanks either way!!!

7. Awol pedals has been hinting about doing custom Pedaltrain powder-coating on instagram. Might be worth checking them out and sending a message https://www.awolpedals.com/

bass10bfb likes this.
  8. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Thank u brother!!!! I will check them out!!!

9. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.

10. yep...custom paint, powder-coat or anything on a one off item is going to be expensive. Whoever is doing it need to make something for their time and materials.

Your best best bet might be to play around with rattle cans then. Good primer and pick your colour and go! Might not be perfect, but you can always sand down and try again. (Your comment got merged into my quote, took me a sec to figure out what you replied)

bass10bfb likes this.
  11. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Sorry about that brother. Thanks for the info!!! I may just try that and see how it looks when I get the board.

12. mmon77

mmon77

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    The problem my buddy and I had with rattle can finishes was they would just scrape off too easily. We sanded, primed, and painted, (3 coats if I remember correctly). It just wouldn't hold up to the "rigors of the road" so to speak.

Yes, you can repaint, but that requires taking everything off the pedal board, cleaning it up, etc. then putting it all back together when finished. Just got to be too much of a pain, so my buddy gave up on the idea. He didn't want to bother with it anymore, so he never went the powder coating route, though I'm sure that it would have held up well. You have no idea the kind of abuse arcade machines take from little kids...but the powder coating handled it well.

bass10bfb likes this.
  13. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Now that makes me think I DONT want to try and paint myself lol. I don't know what I am gonna do

14. Sometimes we spend too much time on the vanity side of gear. If you want the truth... probably a very small minority of people will notice your pedal board matches your cabs.

But then that being said.... you could look into getting a custom wrapped tolex board to match your cabs I would recommend Maple Rock Standard Series Pedalboards and just ditch the pedaltrain ;) I especially like their pedal boards with lids :thumbsup:

bass10bfb likes this.
  15. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    I understand brother, and you are right. But I don't care what other people think, I would just like it to match for myself. Not trying to please anybody but me (which is hard lol, I am never pleased) :help::help::help:.
    All kidding aside those are nice looking boards for sure!!! They have a color close to Chocolate Thunder by Aguilar too!!!!

16. bass10bfb

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Man, I have looked at a TON of boards since I started this thread. There are several makers that do, at least close, to the color I would want, which would be ok. It would be awesome to have it made without painting. The prices are about what you would expect, some more, some less.
    The big thing for me now at least, is that I really like the way the Pedaltrain boards are designed. I like the spacing in between each rail of the board. Some boards are just flat, and I don't really dig that. I am ASSUMING it would be hard to hide the cabling on a solid board. I don't know.
    What board design do you guys like? If you like the flat solid boards with no holes, how do you hide the cables to make it look neater? Unfortunately, I am a neat freak, and could not stand my board looking messy!!! I know, I know, it's not all about looks. But I can't change my personality lol!!!

17. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Hiding the cables is definitely the most rational way to set up a board for my eyes.

bass10bfb likes this.
  18. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Ooooo, you could wrap a Pedaltrain with Tolex!
    - contact adhesive along the front of the rails
    - lay the tolex down on it when it's tacky (depends on the adhesive requirements) - stretched across, not tucked in between the rails or anything
    - clamp to bond the face surface, but also stretch and wrap the sides around to the back and secure with screws and washers into the aluminum to keep tight
    - cut just horizontal razor-slits in the tolex between the rails, so you can tuck your cables and fish them through while hiding the big gaps

=0)

bass10bfb likes this.