1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody got flats on a ray?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassWindu711, Aug 13, 2012.

1. As of now I am building a warmoth bass with a MM PU in the sweet spot. I love the flats I have on my other bass which has 2 soapbars PUs. I was just wondering how flats sound on a bass with a MM PU?

2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Sounds great IMO. I don't own one, but I am a fan of that sound.

3. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Got chromes on my Sub. Sounds absolutely sweet.

4. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Got flats on one of my Sabre's... I dig it. IMO, sounds great. Some people think it takes away the signature 'Ray sound, but I find it just tames the clack a bit... If you want a soundclip, check out some Bernie Edwards (Chic)... I'm pretty sure he used flats on his 'Ray.

5. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    If you wanted to tame it a bit I could see flats on a Sting Ray but it kinds defeats the purpose of playing that particular bass doesn't it.

6. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    You still get a lot of bite, just less highs. But a lot of the MM punch is in the mids anyway.

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Stingrays sound great with rounds or flats, imo. I suggest TI Jazz Flats, or the new Fender 9050CL set. I have used flats on and off Stingrays for years.

The Ray won't sizzle as much with flats, but the MM sound is still very much there.

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    No. GHS Precision flats on my SR Classic 5 sits in the mix better than anything that I've tried. That's the purpose of that bass for me.

9. Awesome I love the tone Bernie Edwards had :)

10. I have DR Lo Riders on my Stingray 4 right now, but twice I put flats on it.

Flats give a Ray a different sound, naturally, but the signature Musicman tone is still there.

Here's a clip of a Ray with flats:

With roundwounds, I almost always keep my settings at:

Bass - 7
    Mids - 8
    Treble - 2

By boosting the bass and mids, and keeping the treble low, I get a sound like Paul Denman, the bassist for Sade gets.

Everyone should put flats on their Ray at least once.

Mike

11. Why?
    Stingray with flats are cool.
    Chromes or Fender flats are quite nice.
    Or are you assuming Stingrays are just for slapping?

12. He did, and very nice sound he got!