1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody here like parts basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThaLowEndTheory, Apr 9, 2009.

1. I "assembled" these from various parts mixed and matched. Colors are reranch surf green mixed trans, and reranch mk white.

DSCF1715.
    DSCF1722.
    DSCF1723.
    DSCF1732.
    DSCF1736.
    [/quote]

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Those look great! I have always wanted to try the reranch stuff. I may just have to do it sometime.

They both look killer. Especially the green one.

3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    My MIM Fender J has evolved into a parts bass... Mighty Might neck, Schaller tuners, DiMarzio pups, etc... I think the only original thing at this point is the body and the control plate.

Those basses look killer. I really like the green one as well. Those start out as SX basses or what? Makes me want to start a project...

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Nice looking axes! Never heard of "DeCluette", what's the story on that?

5. Green bass is a mighty mite body, the white bass is a no name body I found on ebay. Both necks are sx necks I already had. I got the rosewood neck a while back for $20! :hyper:

It's just my last name.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good stuff !

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Awesome!

8. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Shoot. That's all I play is parts basses. And they will go toe to toe with some boutique basses. Here is one that is Warmoth,Moses,Bartolini,Schaller,Plekk job..ect

IMG_2204.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    They look fine.

Did you add the zero fret to the rosewood neck?

10. Yea, some of you may remember Rondo had discounted necks. No nut slot was cut, and on some the inlays were falling out. Well for $20 I figured I could fix that easily and ordered 3 of them. I still have to go back and cut a small slot for a string guide.

Nice bass Mr bassie!! I got 2 warmoth projects coming up soon. I stole a 1 piece body off ebay for $125. I'm getting a neck made for it. Flame maple, binding, dots, and a zero fret. I'm going to try my first sunburst on it. Going for a '66 jazz repro. The other is a 2 piece ash body, matched with maple neck all birdied.

11. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I currently have 2 parts basses, this one will be arriving today via UPS:

MIM jazz body
    MIJ jazz neck
    badass II bridge
    Audere JZ3 pre

FenderJazz.

I also have one currently on the workbench: should be complete in a week or so I will post pics when done

MIM precision neck - on the way via USPS
    Squier P bass body - refinished with ReRanch "Surf green"
    Squier 60's vibe pickguard
    Duncan Bassline P pickups
    70's reissue tuners,
    bridge and pickup covers

I like Franken basses they are a lot of fun to build up and you get all you want in a bass.

Brian

12. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I'm on my way to building a parts bass, myself. I'm using a Squier P/J body with a MIM Jazz neck. I'm not sure of all the details yet, but I have enough pickups and hardware for two Jazz basses and a P. It'll be a fun project!

13. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    To the OP. That surf green just kills. Beautiful job!

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My parts J - Allparts neck, Warmoth body (flamed, spalted maple over alder - super light), Hipshot harware, Fralin pups. I have an Aguilar preamp that never got put in. This things just sings. I really only play it at home or for the occasional rehearsal session. It's a bit too flashy for my band.
    [​IMG]

This is the 3rd parts bass I've put together, and the only one I still have.

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I love 'em! The basses pictured here are awesome!

Parts basses are great and everyone is unique unto itself! I guess I have 2 parts basses now. My Black SX and my SX P are both modded well.

SX Black Jazz -
    SX Blocked n Bound neck
    Fender CIJ tuners
    Fender String button
    Modded SX pick guard
    BA II Bridge
    Dunlop Straplocks
    Fender pots and cap to come and possibly pickups (I like the stock pups so much)

SX P bass -
    Sx Jazz bass neck - rosewood board w/ vintage tint
    Fretjob
    Gotoh 201 Bridge
    Dunlop Straplocks

And I plan to build a few Warmoth etc in the future as well.....

16. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Freakin' Beautiful, great job:)

Brian

17. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    Man that is nice!

18. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Hey Lowend, that surf green was killing me! I had done a parts bass not too long ago, but I was not happy with the way the color turned out. Now I am! Good parts don't always make a great bass, but in this case they did. USACG body, Status neck, Bartolini humbuckers, Aguilar 1 pre amp, Hipshot type A bridge and Hipshot HB3 tuners. On the way is a white pickguard and the more traditional chrome control plate.

DSCN1483.

19. Great bass there Mr Bassie. I think it's going to look a lot better with the more traditional white guard and chrome. Don't forget to post pics when you get 'em changed out. Either way tho, that's one to be proud of.

20. Allparts, Fralin, Gregg Rogers, Seymour Duncan, Kluson, Fender, CTS...nitro in the garage.

3488378994_0c8d68041b.