Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody out there own a Ampeg BR2E head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toneman, May 23, 2005.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I need one question answered from someone who owns this head not the B2R but the B2RE.
    Does your cooling fan go on when you turn your amp on or only when it gets hot.
    Even ampeg support can't agree on this. I just bought one and dont know if the fan is broken or designed this way but it hasn't gone on yet. I know that on most ampegs the fan goes on all the time but this is a new model. I figure the only way to know for sure is to hear from an owner.
    tony
    :mad:

2. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Why don't you play through it at home for an hour or so - it might not get red hot but it should get hot enough to trigger the fan if it's working, and better to find out it's faulty at home than the first tiome you gig with it.

3. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I did that.Left it on for hours but I think you have to play or put a signal through it to get it warm.
    Hopefuly someone on the forum who owns one will post.

4. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I know its not the same amp, but the fan on my B2R only came on when it was good and warm. After a gig, I would leave it on until it was cool enough to kick off the fan itself.
    I also noticed that on shorter, air-conditioned gigs, the fan may not kick on at all. Since the B2RE is a replacement of the B2R, I suspect they use a lot of the same parts (and probably the same fan/thermostat).
    IME, in order for it to get warm enough to turn the fan on it had to actually be putting out some serious wattage, and for quite a while. I kinda doubt that just turning it on and letting it sit for an hour will build up enough heat. YMMV.

5. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    You say "I did that" - but I said PLAY through it for a bit, not just leave it turned on.

6. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    +1

I agree, you'll hafta play thru it to get her warmed up a bit. Also, thinking back, using a 4 ohm cab instead of an 8 ohm cab may help her warm up to temp.

7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I have this amp and the fan starts when I turn it on.

8. bottomend74

bottomend74

Jun 26, 2011
    My Ampeg BR2E head quit working. It won't power on. I changed the fuse and tried a different power cord- still no power. Anybody have any idea what the problem might be?