Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody seen Drumline?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, May 23, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    horrible movie but those halftime bands are amazing. anybody been to the BET classic? anyone know of any DVDs featuring those bands?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That movie reaks of all things that suck.

No one gives a rats a** about snare drums... Its all about tenor drums...

And ya.

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    The movie was so so, I didn't think much of the bands. That thing with petey pablo or whoever comes out at the end was god awful.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    are you kidding?!

drumline was off the chain!

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    those bands are superfunkafied. i really want to see more footage of them. but where.....WHERE!!!!!

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    haha, i just got back from seeing chappelle (dave chappelle) stand up man at the college here, and that nick cannon guy was the second guest before dave, and he got boo'ed off soooooo fast. the first guy was funny as hell and had to come and save him like 5 minutes through. his lines consisted of "man i got so high the first day of high school man. i was like just in math, and the math teacher kept picking on me and was like, you take $8.75 and add $7.25 to it and what do you get?". you suck, biatch. :D.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The BET Classic was created for the movie. It's not a real competition. The bands were put together by choreographers and music directors.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    what were they thinking bringing him out there. he was horrible :eyebrow:

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i don't know man. he got booed off and didn't even last 5 minutes. he rambled on joking about walking dogs or some stupid **** and nobody knew what he was talking about. the first guy had to come on again and save him, but he was funny as hell though. chappell was awsome.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I had to sit in front of those things for 4 years of marching band. I had to switch from saxophone to bass because I couldn't hear anything over 500 hZ anymore.

Bastards.

11. the most ridiculous part was when they had those little things that they hooked up to the drum and it transcribed the playing. Then the guy played this supposedly hard (but not actually hard) thing on the drum and there were all these different notes and accidentals up the wazoo. Unfortunately, snare drums play different rhythms, not different pitches

Also, what was up with the ending? How could they possibly have a tiebreaker that only involves one section of the band? Especially since there are always way more winds than percussion...they left out most of the band in that tiebreaker!

Supposedly, it's usually entertaining for people who know nothing about marching band, but I think that anyone who's been in marching band knows that it's a mockery. I guess it's the same for physics and movies like The Core. ;)

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    once he started talking about his pimp shoes, it was all over :D

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That movie was awful, we were forced to watch it in my music class. I found it weird that the band camp was run like the army. Why were they running laps and doing push-ups on the field? Shouldn't they have been like, I dunno, practicing their instruments maybe?

~Graeme

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Doesn't work on film.

"BOY! DID I JUST HEAR THAT A GO FLAT!? GIVE ME TWENTY Bb SCALES. I WANT TO SET A STROBE TUNER TO THOSE NOTES, SON! NOW, MAMA'S BOY!"

15. that movie blows...

they didn't even do the tricks.. they sped up the tape to make the things go faster

16. Chick flick disguised as a sports movie.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    there were very little sports to be seen in the movie.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i gotta agree man. i don't care what it is, i don't want to pay $15 (with snacks :D) to watch some guys practice instruments. i don't even want to pay to see drumline either :p.

19. Actually, it's very common for people in marching band to run laps and do pushups, especially in drum lines. Some people I know were in the "B" corps of a drum and bugle corps or whatever they call it, and they did tons of pushups. The "A" corps, which was one of the top drum and corps in the country did a lot more.

20. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    really!!!!! the BET classic is fake?????

i know there are superfunky half-time bands like that in real life.....and i know they get together and compete somewhere.