1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody useing AG-500 or UL-502 for Upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Barcza, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Aguilar AG-500

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Epifani UL-502

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    John Patitucci endorsing the Aguilar AG-500 head and Christian McBride the Epifani UL-502. I like sound of both players (more Patitucci). But I always skeptic to go a product just becouse somebody endorsing it. In my country no dealer for this amps and nobody use. The only help if you share your observations with me.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    When John Pattucci visited St. Louis with Wayne Shorter there was no amp in site. Christian Mc Bride used a Glockenklang when he was here with Pat Matheney. It's better to find something that works for you. It's my humble opinion that these two players would sound good through any decent system. Touring necessitates flexibility. Matt Garrison also uses the Epifani 502.

Ric

3. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Maybe Patitucci use only microphones, when he played in St. Louis with Shorter they work with a fantastic sound engineer (I dont know the name). I know this guys when, touring use different amp whats available at the City. Off Course they sounds good with any amplification, becouse the are fantastic players. But I just like find a really good amp for playing clubs to medium concert halls. I just need suggestions, becouse I have no chance try before buy. The good sound is very subjective. To explain my taste: I like the sound of GK. SWR I don't like : Ampeg, Trace Elliot

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I read almost all of the posts in this forum in detail. It's not often that either of those heads get mentioned here for use w/ DB. Not saying they won't sound great, just sharing an observation.

IMO, if you want a really good amp for DB that gets "endorsed" by a lot of people in this forum with a wide range of abilities and credentials, then check out the Acoustic Image Focus.

[ Edit - If you are going to use it to double on EB, you may or may not want something in front of it like a SansAmp BDDI or a Demeter Compulator. ]

If money and wait time are not a concern, add Walter Woods to the list.

5. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yes, it seems AI would be the right choice for me, since I unfortunately Can't afford Walter Woods. The EB willl no problem, becouse I use my EBS Valve Drive with my Jazz Bass, it add a nice growl even when I go directly to PA.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Hm. I might have skipped over that comment before now. Would you consider just getting a GK or an SWR if you already know you like their sound?

It also made me think you might also want to consider the Micro 300 or iAMP 500 from Euphonic Audio. IMO, the Acoustic Image sound is accurate, bare, and subdued. To my ears the EA amps I've heard have a more lively, hyped sound in the mids and upper register. Both very musical, both very good. But I would not necessarily put the sound of GK and SWR in the same group as AI.

Of course, YMMV, I could be all wet, etc.

7. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Thanks for help! Yes I know the AI is different than GK (I currently use since long time) but flirt to get some more detailed sound amplification. I think the real sound for Upright is the Neaumann U67 in a studio, but I like to find some nice amplification for stage. The Micro 300 is also sounds nice to me. The " my bass only louder" philosophy, very sympatic for me but I'm not shure I want to hear "my pickup only louder". There's one guy who has an AI in my country, I will try it. But no chace to try the EA.

8. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Smile. You make an excellent point that a lot of us tend to overlook I think.

What about Markbass products? Do you have access to those? They have been getting some positive reviews on this site. Just another thought.

9. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    I would highly recommend AI, especially if you can get the Focus 2R, and use Acme cabinets, or something similar (three way, dome tweeter - I find that the compression horns on most cabs are what make the sound of a pickup horrid). That's the setup I am using, with a Full Circle pickup, and I am very happy with my sound, feels like the bass louder, not the pickup. I use the same amp with electric going through an EBS Valvedrive, and love the results for that too.

10. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I heard that Markbass works well for upright, unfortunatelly olso no chance to try. Markbass seems to me something similar than GK. But I don't know. The EA Micro 300 be very intriguing!

11. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    The Acme products doesin't fitt my needs. The Low-B1 not loud enough for my big stage situations since the Low-B2 not portable enough for clubs.

12. sadowskyschmaus

sadowskyschmaus

May 29, 2006
    Tokyo, JP
    I use an Epifani UL502 for work with a Pollman fitted with a realist. I run the realist through a Fishman Pro platinum EQ before the Epi and have been pleased with the results. I am running this into a Berg HT112 also and I like the tight response this cab has...not as deep and round as the Epi 12, but it has worked well for me in a variety of situations. I plug a Zon Sonus custom into the other channel of the 502 also and it sounds great. I have no experience with the Aggie, but I do use an EA iAMP 500 alot as well and love it for both up & el fwiw.

13. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    What do you think about EA iAmp 200 + Wizzy 12 for upright and doubling?

14. sadowskyschmaus

sadowskyschmaus

May 29, 2006
    Tokyo, JP
    That sounds like a good setup, but for a little more you can get the iAMP 500 and have more headroom at your disposal...the 200 is a great amp, but if you ever need to add an extension cab, it's nice to have the extra power imo.

15. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I used the iAMP-200 C Wizzy combo for about three years and was quite happy with it. My gigs are ~ 90% upright, 10% slab. I still have it as my backup amp. There are a couple other folks here on TB that use that combo or the separate head and cab (they're sonically equivalent). And I don't think I've ever heard any complaints. The points that sadowskyschmaus made about iAMP 500 are well taken though.

[ Edit - I think EA plans to discontinue the iAMP 200, if they haven't already. ]

16. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I see, maybe a stupid question but, the iAMP 500 has not to mutch power for the 200w Wizzy? It's could not be a problem?

17. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I think the first thing you need to consider is what kind of pickup your using and will the input impedence on your amp match up with that well.

I owned a UL502 for a long time but didn't like it for the upright, another pickup might give you different results though. I have no experience with the Aguilar stuff.

I now have a Glockenklang and a Focus both sound very good with my pick up, but again results vary depending on your bass, pick up and cabinet.

Allot of guys like the Focus Wizzy pairing or a berg 112.

In addition some have used a Summit Audio TD100 instrument preamp which has a variable input impedence and this makes matching your pickup with a variety of heads much easier.

Allot of good reading here. Do some searches when you get a chance.

18. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I use Fishman Full Circle, I like it. Fishman says: "works best into an ultra high impedence (1-10 mega ohm) imput". Often I don't like useing preamp before the amp with upright. I agree with Marcus Miller but I have no chance to try and compare most of this amps. Your helps at this forum is very important for me!

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    did not like it with the 502. MUCH better with my gk 1001rb

20. Barcza

Barcza Supporting Member

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    The iAMP 500 has 1 meg ohm input, AI Clarus has the same.