1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone been to Tokyo? I need to pick your brain.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Turns out my wife and I will be in Tokyo early next year. We'll be there for 6 nights during which I have one gig to do, but the rest of the time we'll be free to do whatever we like.

* What are the things we absolutely MUST do while we're there?

* My wife's birthday falls towards the end the trip. Any ideas how to treat her to something special Tokyo style, something nice we couldn't/wouldn't do unless we were in Japan?

2. - Spend a (long) day and make the trip to Nikko. If you can, spend a night at the Kanaya Hotel.
    - Pick up a couple of bento and have a picnic on the outside grounds of the Imperial Palace. Stroll to the north of the palace and marvel at how small the Budokan (yes, *that* Budokan) is.
    - Go to Shinjuku for cameras and musical instruments, Akihabara for electronics, Kanda for books.
    - Swing by Ishibashi Music at the Ochanomizu Honten (main store) to gawk at basses.
    - For her birthday, spend an overnight trip at an onsen (hot springs resort) near Fujisan.
    - Hit Shibuya on a Saturday night, just to experience the intersection. Harajuku on a weekend to see the Harajuku girls. Ginza any time to window-shop.
    - Go to an izakaya for great, cheap food and beer.
    - Spend an hour or two at a love hotel. Seriously.

Don't forget to write.

-jb

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I live there.

Tokyo is an enormous (ENORMOUS) city, with lots and lots to do. Think New York, only really, really big - and with very little crime.

I'd suggest Roppongi, Tokyo Tower, Ueno Park (which is sort of like Balboa Park in San Diego - lots of museums), the palaces, the zoo, Akasaka....

Seriously, there's just a million possibilities. What kind of things do you like/not like?

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If you want to hit a bass store, check out Bass Collection in Shibuya. Can't miss it out of the train station - there's a GIANT sign with a Ken Smith 7 string hanging off the building.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Wow, so much info already. Thank guys, this is sensational. I'm going to need time to to digest all this.

Regarding bass shops, lets throw "The Bass Station - Akihabara" into the mix only because I've been told it's the biggest. If you had to visit one bass shop out of all these, which would get our vote?

6. all of the above are great, I'd also throw in a trip to Yoyoggi park in Harajuku on Sundays, its an amazing variety of people playing music, dancing and just having a good time, grab a few bento boxes and you've got an afternoon right there just people watching. I cant wait to go back to Tokyo

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Pete - the other thing is, Tokyo is expensive. More than you can really comprehend. Where are you staying?

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yeah we knew it wasn't going to be cheap, and we're not millionaires so we'll have to be smart about our budget i.e spend enought to have fun but not send ourselves bankrupt.

We're still sorting out where we'll stay and what exactly our budget will be. Just waiting of some final details about the gig so I know where I need to be etc.

I've been googling all the suggestions made so far. Some of them look great. I can't wait :hyper:

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Love hotel and rolling sushi. And cow tongues.

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

Cow tongue (gyu-tan) is MUCH better in Sendai. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if you haven't had it in Sendai, you haven't had it.

Love hotel is a great suggestion - a truly unique japanese cultural experience.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No Sendai or Sushi for me. I don't eat any seafood. I'll have to come up with another excuse for not eating Cow Tongue :)

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ok I just found out the gig is at Roppongi, more specifically at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, Roppongi Hills, Tokyo. Something tell me I won't be able to afford to stay there though. I'll most likely try for something close by and more reasonably priced.

13. You've got that right.

Consider booking a gaijin house. I stayed at one in Ikebukuro for a week or so once, and it was a good experience. You'll meet people from around the world, it'll be relatively cheap, and you won't need to know any Japanese to get by (you wouldn't at the Grand Hyatt either, but I'm guessing rates will start at about Y40,000/night, about US$400 -- whatever that is in AUS$).

The gig should pay well, at least.

-jb

14. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Tokyo Disney.

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Meh.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    To those of you who have done gigs there, I have a question regarding Japan's 100V power. All my equipment is designed for 240V so I'm going to need to be careful.

I've got my amp/cab issues sorted out, but I need to supply my own power for my pedals/wireless. I assume Boss makes a PSA-100? I could always pop into a music store and grab one of those but they're only 200mA and I've always felt more comfortable using something which is capable of a bit more current, perhaps a 100v version of something like this:-

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3484&CATID=27&form=CAT&SUBCATID=521

Have any of you bought anything like this in Japan? If so what did you get and where can I get one for myself?

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Scrap that last post! I just noticed my existing power supply works at 100V already! :)

18. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I had that pleasant surprise when I went to Bangkok this summer. I brought along a power converter, but then I noticed that all the adaptors for my electronics were rated for a pretty wide range of voltages so I could just plug everything straight into the wall.

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Some of my friends who went there said there were more men with purses than they had ever seen.

Oh, and I don't know if it's up your alley or not, but some of the various Shinto and Buddhist temples are an amazing sight to be seen. And this one park downtown that I can't remember the name of. But there were scenes and gardens from all over the world, plus very beautiful Japanese gardens as well.

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Take lots and lots of money.

Although, Aussie dollars probably buy more there than U.S. dollars (which are fast becoming worthless everywhere). But Tokyo's pretty damn expensive no matter what the currency.