Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone else get into practice slumps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Seems like the last month or so I have had a hard time picking the bass up and practicing. I try and force myself to at least play for an hour or so while i'm in these slumps, but I just can't get into it if the fire isn't there. I don't know what it is really. Anyone else get like this sometimes?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep. Buy new gear, piece of equipment or something. That usually sparks my interest again.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im in one now just bc i have no time at all.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Definately-it's been this summer. The hardest part is actually picking up the basses. Example-tonight, i needed to shed for a rehearsel tomorrow [all DB], so i went down there and once i got started i practiced for an hour straight. I did three 1hour blocks today. I was amazed.

When i get into slumps-i either listen to more tunes that might spark some interest, or simply wait it out. The longest i've gone without picking up a bass is about 3 days.

That's all

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    take a break from the bass for a couple of day. don't look at it, don't think about it. try listening to a new cd, or a new dvd to get inspiration flowing again.

honestly, the worst thing you can do is to flog a dead horse! :)

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Buying new gear to get excited is a waste of money, sorry that's my opinion from personal experience.

Can't get fired up to practice? Try this: just take your bass out of the case and clean it.

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've come out of a 3+ month slump myself so I know how you feel. This whole being a dad thing can be so draining that I felt like I didn't have the time to play. After all, this or that had to get done, I had to lessen the missus' load somehow, etc.

I finally picked up and started playing again a few weeks ago and guess what? The little guy totally dug my playing! He was all happy and smiling, making lots of noise and generally acting quite pleased.

The encouragement from my son (6 months old now, woohoo!), running into an old friend who plays guitar (and wants to jam) and preparing for a lesson last weekend (first lesson in 2 years) all had me working hard to get back in the groove. It's been working too. I gave the missus a back rub last night and she said "Your calluses have come back". :) So I'm feeling quite good and after last weekend's lesson I have literally tons of stuff to work on that'll keep me practicing for ages.

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, I guess I'm in one right now. Mostly because I'm really not happy with my tone. I sat down a little while ago to learn some songs by ear and it turned into a 30 minute eq wrestling session. I lost.

Just waiting for a check to come in and I'm finally doing what I should have done in the first place, buy a tube amp.

9. I find that if im having a 'tone wrestling match", I just practice without an amp. I leave my room and go to the back (quiet) room in my basement. I find that i get much more out of the practice and I feel good about my 'improvements'. If I feel good about my recent practice, I'll want to do it again, and again. Also, i find that if you practice without an amp, and pay close attention to minimizing fretbuzz, your tone sounds better when you finally plug back into the amp. :)

10. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Working a 35 hour a week summer job, I rarely find time to just pick it up at home. Most of my playing is done at band practice.

11. Thirty Five hours a week? Man.

:D

12. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia

+10.

i practice unamplified, and it has improved my technique tremendously because you can hear imperfection better (like fret buzz, or muting of a string/note).

this may be counted as abuse, but playing unamplified i have to pluck the strings harder, and fret harder, which has improved the dexterity of my fingers.

13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I think a better question would be "does anyone not get into practice slumps?"

14. myself i'm in practice slumps. i almost never practice....longest i've went without my band and my bass (that's practically practice for me) is a couple of weeks......i hate to say it, but my fix is usually getting the hell out of my house and exposing myelf to anger and that helps me write.....i always just get out to draw influence.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Actually picking up the bass is the hardest part for me, too. Tomorrow I'm gonna start early, though -- got a lot of stuff to do before our group's next rehearsal on Wednesday, and I work 6-10 tomorrow night. Gonna start transcribing Christian McBride's bass solo off of Honeysuckle Rose (wish me luck...)

16. Best way to overcome practise slumps is to not worry too much about it. Try doing some other useful things that will help you progress as a musician.

* Make a chart of the basses fretboard with all the scales marked out

* Try writing a song from pure theory - not using a instrument at all, and only play it when you've finished it.

* Read a book about the career of your favourite musician/band etc. It may inspire you.

Believe me, we all plateau in our travels through music, but the inspiration will come, just don't force it.

Best of luck

17. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Yeah... sadly... ive been playing guitar more than bass, but ive been picking up my bass quite a bit more now *wipes brow*
    I will most definitely pick up my bass more after thursday due to some new toys coming in the mail :D (pups)

hehehehehehehe

---Rocinante_x1

18. lazyi

lazyi

Feb 14, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have not been in a slump for the past 3 monthes. I haven't had enough money for food, So playing has saved me. I do have a computer [in my apartment] but no internet connection. I don't have a TV either so after staring at the walls for about 10 minutes, picking up my Bass seems like a reasonable thing to keep me occupied. I am sure I will slump when I make more money.

So quit your job
    throw away your tv
    disconnect your computer.

That should help with the slump.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

lol. :p

20. i refuse to put the word "theory" anywhere near the word "bass" without laughing