Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone else play the drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mikeym, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Yeah i play the drums...

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No i don't play the drums...

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. I don't friggin care... whats this poll about?!?!

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    hey i play the drums in my band... i'm primarily a drummer...so yeah.. anyone else? i play a pearl export set... i also have a tama imperialstar, and a slingerland set...

~mikeym

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    are you kidding? i can barely play the bass!!

:D

3. Been playing for around 10 months. I don't suck that much. I can play along with drum beats from Primus albums. But mostly I usually make up a drum line that goes with the song.

4. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    nice guys.... i'll give you a little more of my backround... i play for a band called cheez weezul, we produced a cd last year... the site is www.cheezweezul.com, its a very amature site... last year i was endorsed by paiste with a class C endorsement (i got percentages off their stuff)... but i ended up buying other companys cymbals because i liked them better... but hey its all good... i didn't know there was such a thing as a drummist... ~ mikeym

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have played drums for about 15 years, just started playing bass a year ago. I really enjoy being an entire rythm section by myself.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Started with drums at the age of ten. started in school reading classical music. Also played tymphani and vibraphone. did that for four years then switched to bass. In the 70's I used to play funk drum solo's at the start of the 2nd or 3rd set just to showcase my knowlegde of drums then I would switch back to bass. Most bassplayers I know started on something else.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Started on drums 15 years ago. Due to necessity in one of my current projects, I switched from bass to drums and am LOVING it...not to mention the layoff of the last 8 years or so has done wonders for my playing (belive it or not). I feel more comfortable, confident, and locked in behind the kit that I ever did when I was younder. Now I just need to find a new project that I can play bass in, and I may have already found one! :D

8. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    See my thread....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104834

I've actually had a kit for a month now, but I've been around drums for years and seem to have a sort of natural knack for it.

I've alway know if not a bass player, I'd be a drummer.

Now I'm both.

Maybe soon I'll be both at the same time!

;)

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've played drums/bass for most of my entire music carreer.I think evey musician should try drums or percussion because it really will help you in areas of music especially for time/fell it also makes you attentive when playing with a drummer because you no what to look/hear for.
    I'm in the process of purchasing a set of Pearl Session customs or Pearl Masters.

P.S I'm also at the Pearl Drums Forum which is very informative much like Talkbass.I encourage each of you to paticipate in the forum if you can because you'd be amaze at what drummers look for in a bass player.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    V-drumming presently.
    I like to hit things.
    things I hit

11. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA

Jesus, man. That's quite a "V-kit". Bet that cost a pretty freaking penny.

Mine's not quite so big, or quite so "V", but I love it just the same.

12. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    and another

13. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    and one more

:D

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that's a funky little kit! Very cool!
    I'm shopping for acoustics presently, been using Yammies and DW's at the studio, and a nice little Premier kit now and then. Really not sure what I want to go for acoustic-wise. Played some Spauns the other day that sounded great, but can't afford that and the V's...

cool pics man!

15. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    nice!!!

i wish i had a hip kit...haha.. when i can get on my home computer i'll send you some pics of my kit...haha... i have a pearl set thats customed in checkerboard finish... you guys will love it... ~ mikeym

16. I've been a drummer for 33 years. I like how learning bass has changed my approach to the kit.

17. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    by the way... i'm also mikeym on the pearl drum forum... i got blocked outta that forum at my school (where i'm at now)... so i came here... ~ mikeym

18. I play very, very, VERY badly. But I try.

19. Yes I do! I play drums in one of my two bands called Othello Dreaming Venice (I play bass in the other). Here is my kit:

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I started playing drums in 78 and switched to Bass in 95. I still have my set(eight piece double Bass Pearl with Zildjians), but dont play much anymore.