Anyone else use Power Tabs or Guitar Pro?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by QORC, Feb 9, 2005.

1. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    what a God-send on some songs. when I was young and trying to learn, I was literally trying to figure them out by standing next to the turntable or tape deck - some songs it was almost impossible. It was slow and frustrating back then.

Tabs - when they are correct - are so helpful ! But having Guitar Pro and being able to isolate the bass, slow it down or whatever, makes it so much easier to learn now.
  2. I use power tabs, and they have been really helpful in learning new songs, but what is this guitar pro you speak of?
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I used powertab for a while, but got irritated with some things like the bass clef key signature printing in the wrong place. This may have been sorted out by now.
  4. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
  5. whoa, thats hella sweet! thanks man, i may actually buy that one
  6. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    it came in handy lately. - I was trying to learn Kravitz' "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" bass lead part. Guitarpro tranlsating a midi file slowing it down, allowed me to pick it up quicker than I might have.
  7. do you know, is there a way to eliminate the guitar in a powertab?
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I use it. I learn songs so much faster this way because I can see the progression and I can get the tempo with the metronome. Only bad part is there aren't as many Power tabs as there are regular tabs :S

I've been working on translating some tabs I have found on websites into full songs.

Currently working on: Acid Bath - Scream of the Butterfly
    My only problem so far is that I'm not sure on the tuning and the strange effect he uses makes is harder to match when playing along.
  9. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    that's where GuitarPro helps - USUALLY there is a midi file of any hit song, even when there are no powertabs.

I also hate when the Powertab doesn't include the bassline! ARRRRRRRRRRGH

GuitarPro also helps because you can literally turn off all or any other instruments, and just have the bass isolated.
  10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I use guitar pro for everything, used pt first but i think it sucks.

I know i should train my ear but i'm lazy..
  11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've used PowerTab.

No problems.

It gets you to the correct Key and Progression.

Easy to tweak and personalize from there.
  12. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I use power tabs. I have figured out that people are generally more accurate with the tab using powertab than a text version posted on some site.
  13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yea they are generally more accurate, but when I convert them so I can print them out it takes a little bit of work...

and theres not too many powertabs out there for Christian music...
  14. convert them to print them out?!?! dude, just export them to an ascii file its like 2 sec
  15. you don't need to buy guitar pro if you just downloading *.gp4 tabs and learning...demo version will do
    but you'll need to buy if you want to transcribe your basslines (which are longer 24 bars) or you songs.

and guitar pro 4 has sheet music too instead of tabs for those who prefer them. and also has fretboard view for beginners
  16. Guitar Pro software seems pretty cool. Does it have tablature and/or fretboards for 5 string basses?
  17. guitar pro can do 6 string bass you can even make up your own instrument really, just pick the amount of strings, tune them then choose what it sounds like!