anyone ever heard about GK mb150e head???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by b-flat, Dec 4, 2003.

1. b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I was going through some pages on the internet and saw a GK mb150e head... I couldn't really tell wether it was right or not...

has anyone ever heard? or might be just a lie?

2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    they've been very common among u.s. jazz bassists for about 20 years (i think). very portable and a pretty good doubling amp for low-medium volume work. sturdy as a tank, too. i'm sure there's plenty of info in the 'newbie links' thread at the top of the forum.

sean p
  3. bat flea,

The MB150E is a combo, not just a head. They are quite common, as sean p-diddy mentioned. There are 2 versions, which are described as follows at
  4. Sometime in the 80's/90's GK did make a 150 head, which was supposed to be their version of the MBS combo amp, but, in head form. .... Does that make sense? .... Anyway, though a quality GK product, it doesn't compare to the combo, single 12" amp. ... I've tried it and it don't do it. ... So, to get that sound of a GK combo, "yea, got'ta buy the combo". No cheap $$$ way around it.

Leader call out, "12 bar in Bb, with a 2, 5 turn around"
    Bass player says " Hope one of those bars serves lunch"
    Da D.
  5. I've seen Ron Carter twice in the past couple of years at "The Regattabar" in Cambridge - each time he used an MB-150 driving a larger speaker (I can't remember the name) - great sound, great player, awe inspiring!!!

- Wil
  6. I use the combo with a Bag End 1x12 ext cab, and it's the best DB rig I've ever come across. The combo on its own is lacking a bit in tone, but springs to life with the ext. I remember the head only being offered as an option in the mid 90s.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to own one of those MB150 heads, the version with no effects (they made both). It sounded, well, like a GK head. You do see them around now and then, I think I paid $185.

There was also a head version of the 200MB.
  8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I had one a few years back and loved it. I drove a Peavey 210TX bottom that was 4 ohms. That gave me the full 150 watts. Light weight and lots of eq features. I used it for a long time solely as preamp with no speakers hooked up to it at all. I wasn't sure that was wise, so I called the factory from Canada and left a message on their help line. Rich Kruger called back and said it was fine to run it that way, as he had designed that into it.

Sold it once I moved away from 110 volts and into 230 territory. Great head.
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned a couple of the MB150 heads and using them with different portable cabs was able to get some pretty good tones from them. Although the combo version is very portable I was never very crazy about the tone of it.