Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone ever heard about GK mb150e head???

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by b-flat, Dec 4, 2003.

1. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I was going through some pages on the internet and saw a GK mb150e head... I couldn't really tell wether it was right or not...

has anyone ever heard? or might be just a lie?

cheers

2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    they've been very common among u.s. jazz bassists for about 20 years (i think). very portable and a pretty good doubling amp for low-medium volume work. sturdy as a tank, too. i'm sure there's plenty of info in the 'newbie links' thread at the top of the forum.

sean p

3. bat flea,

The MB150E is a combo, not just a head. They are quite common, as sean p-diddy mentioned. There are 2 versions, which are described as follows at http://www.gallien-krueger.com/PRODUCTS/COMBOS/combos.html

4. Sometime in the 80's/90's GK did make a 150 head, which was supposed to be their version of the MBS combo amp, but, in head form. .... Does that make sense? .... Anyway, though a quality GK product, it doesn't compare to the combo, single 12" amp. ... I've tried it and it don't do it. ... So, to get that sound of a GK combo, "yea, got'ta buy the combo". No cheap $$$ way around it.

Leader call out, "12 bar in Bb, with a 2, 5 turn around"
    Bass player says " Hope one of those bars serves lunch"
    Da D.

5. I've seen Ron Carter twice in the past couple of years at "The Regattabar" in Cambridge - each time he used an MB-150 driving a larger speaker (I can't remember the name) - great sound, great player, awe inspiring!!!

- Wil

6. I use the combo with a Bag End 1x12 ext cab, and it's the best DB rig I've ever come across. The combo on its own is lacking a bit in tone, but springs to life with the ext. I remember the head only being offered as an option in the mid 90s.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to own one of those MB150 heads, the version with no effects (they made both). It sounded, well, like a GK head. You do see them around now and then, I think I paid $185.

There was also a head version of the 200MB.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I had one a few years back and loved it. I drove a Peavey 210TX bottom that was 4 ohms. That gave me the full 150 watts. Light weight and lots of eq features. I used it for a long time solely as preamp with no speakers hooked up to it at all. I wasn't sure that was wise, so I called the factory from Canada and left a message on their help line. Rich Kruger called back and said it was fine to run it that way, as he had designed that into it.

Sold it once I moved away from 110 volts and into 230 territory. Great head.

9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned a couple of the MB150 heads and using them with different portable cabs was able to get some pretty good tones from them. Although the combo version is very portable I was never very crazy about the tone of it.