1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone ever use warmoth.com for custom bass/guitar building?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeyjoejoe, Apr 20, 2010.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Just to address the one-size/profile:

A month ago I ordered a new build (neck and body, not from the Showcase). Even though I already have 3 Warmoths, just for the heck of it, I decided to ask about the neck profile, seeing as the guitar necks have several etc. Much to my surprise, I was told that they are just beginning to offer a slimmer profile for bass necks - it is not on the website as yet. I was told "it would feel noticeably thinner". I asked how much, like a Geddy vs a standard for example? -No, not that drastic, but definitely a slimmer feel.- What I get is they didn't want to compromise the structural integrity, so it may be a fairly subtle thing. Still, I was up for it.

Like everything else off the beaten path there's an upcharge and this one's $35.

I won't get the neck for another 3 weeks or so but I am anxious to see what the new profile is. I do like their standard necks. Killer quality, and once settled practically never need adjustment. I haven't touched the necks I have in several years - still perfectly set up. This should be interesting!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The Warmoth I want will cost me ~$1000 for neck and body only. However, I've heard that they're incredible, so it might just be worth it.

3. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i think i was around $600-$700 with the options i picked. if slimmer neck is a new option, i'd probably go with that as well.

so after all the parts, it could end up being around $1000.
    definitely pricey, but it would be cool to do everything pretty much the way i'd like it.

4. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    The way I see it, it's less than Fender American Standard prices for a bass equal to or better than an American Standard, the way YOU want it. When you look at it that way, prices are pretty reasonable.

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  6. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Sorry about the delay in getting the profile information on the website. It is a new option.

FWIW, I'll be at the Seattle GTG this weekend and will have my P/J with slim profile neck and a 32" J with me. Here's a chance to try them out and hang out for a while!

7. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    When the new neck comes in, PLEASE throw down with a review. I've been wanting to go with Warmoth for my next bass for a long time now, but also have been wanting them to offer a slimmer neck profile as I've heard theirs are quite beefy... info would be sweet!

8. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i'm curious how the slimmer neck compares to the MM sterling.
    thats my main bass right now and it is very comfortable for me to play.

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    But, as others have pointed out, the Warmoth has a much lower resale value than a Fender MIA.

10. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I must say that the neck on my '94 Sterling is the most comfortable one I own. Absolutely fits my hand like a glove. If Warmoth made it like that I'd have to buy several more right away!!;)

FWIW - I had a '62 Jazz for a while and the Sterling profile is a dead ringer for the neck on that bass. The neck on my current '66 Jazz is actually a little slimmer (believe it or not) - almost, but not quite, too slim. Very nice, but the Sterling is my favorite all around.

11. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    True - if you're just looking to try basses out to eventually flipthen buy a name brand that holds up money wise.

For me the point of getting a Warmoth is getting something exactly the way I want it with the highest quality components and then keeping it. What I end up with is something that would have cost substantially more if I had it made by anybody's Custom Shop. So, I don't look at resale - I look at bang for the buck up front.