Anyone get this yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassesForTheWin, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Looks nice!

I kinda wanna test this out next to an Epi Tbird-Pro IV....

2. has active/passive EMG pick-ups, so id like to see it go against the T-Bird pro

3. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    WOW!!! looks better than the epi tbird pro loving the chrome hardware and active and passive pick ups plus no need for a stinking 9 volt battery love the upside down machineheads and the strap button at the back of the neck no need to drill unlike epi tbird but wow this is a sweet looking bass only difference between the 1004 and the esp phoenix is the bridge the esp version full price is a esp bridge and this deluxe version is a gotoh bridge but wow awsome will definetly buy one until i can afford an actual gibson bird i dont like epis tbird

4. I believe i will need a 9V, and keep me up to date when you buy it, and post a reveiw up if you do get one would you?

5. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    getting one next wednesday i will let you know and if it sucks i will return it and pitch in my savings and get a gibson :)

6. dont forget the NBD post with pics

7. And some people wonder how "GAS" falls out of remission?

8. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    i have been thinking about it i always wanted a gibson thunderbird and i had an epi thunderbird but i want a real gibson bird and i been thinking should i just get the gibson thunderbird than the esp phoenix?

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a 2010 Gibby Tbird and love it......now. I did mod it....changed the bridge to the Hipshot replacement then went through TWO sets of Gibson pickups (originals and one replacement set). The pickups were just too [email protected] noisy. I ended up dropping in some Chinese aftermarket soapbars I got off ebay for like 40.00 total. IMO....it sounds better now (more clarity) and no electrical buzzing.

So...bear that in mind. I'm sure you probably won't have ANY problems with the ESP. I'm sure you WILL have to tweak a Gibson Tbird once you get it.

Again....I love my Gibby Tbird and my wife for getting it for me. It plays effortlessly and is one of the most comfortable necks I've played on BUT if the ESP was available when she got me Gibby....I might have saved the extra $$$ and gone with the ESP. The ESP won't sound like a Gibson Thunderbird though....it'll definitely be brighter (pickups and neckwood factors).

If I were you I'd try the ESP out first since GC and MF have good return policies.

10. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    damn i actually want both the gibson and the esp ltd version ..... what to do :(

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ru going for the look or tone?
    Only a Gibson third sounds like a Gibson tbird. Mine still sounds very similar with different pickups.....very low mids with a little more clarity now.
    I would expect the Phoenix to be a little if not a lot brighter.....emgs & a maple neck.

12. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    going for tone i heard the gibson and it sounds awsome to me and i also heard the tone from the esp and i like them both but i think i will stick with the gibson

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can u play it before u buy it? I suggest that with any bass brand but especially with a Gibson. I was able to play mine & loved the playability right off the bat.....I didn't notice the pickup buzzing until after i got it home.....I went through gibson's warranty process after that. I'm not totally ragging on Gibson, but they aren't known for great quality control.
    Good luck & post a review of it!
    Bazz

14. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    yeah at guitar center near me just ask for a cord to plug it to an amp but i already have plans to change the bridge to a hipshot supertone and also the machine heads with chrome schaller m4s chrome , but i will most def put up a review and pics along with it .

@BASSANDERSON what bass strings do you recommend by the way?

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    pretty much Daddarios XL 45-100 on my two basses now. They seem to provide plenty of brightness, long life and plenty of bass fundamental for my Tbird and my Pbass. I might try some EB Slinkys on my Tbird but my main "go to" string is DAddarios XLs.

16. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    ok cool , what to you think about the epiphone thunderbird pro 4 string? you think its about the same as the gibson thunderbird? i would get a epiphone thunderbird pro but i just dont like the idea that it needs a 9volt .. what is your opinion on that thunderbird pro?

17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've played the 4 and 5 string version at a local Austin music shop. I thought they were great playing/sounding basses especially for the money but they DO NOT sound like a Gibson Thunderbird. They are much more modern sounding.....overall great I think, but not a true Thunderbird tone (whatever that is). The Epi Pros are SO much better than the standard Epi Thunderbirds IMHO.

but......I'm actually really interested in the ESP Phoenix-II.....definitely gassing for that.

18. SOCAL310

SOCAL310

Nov 22, 2009
    yeah thats true and i am totally gassing over the esp phoenix 2 aswell i did some research the only thing different from the actual esp and the ltd version is the price and the bridge the esp cost 1800 and the ltd deluxe cost 800 and the esp version has the esp bridge and the ltd deluxe has the gotoh bridge but the pups are the same emg and neck through but i like both the gibson bird and the esp or the ltd version so i am saving up about a week more and i will get my gibson thunderbird and afterwards just save 2 weeks of paychecks and buy the ltd esp deluxe bird i like both looks and tones

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd like to hear your review of both (especially the ESP) when you get them!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021