Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone good with harmonics?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jaxler, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Jaxler

Jaxler

Jun 14, 2005
    does anyone know if there's an easy way to play a c harmonic? it would be better if you dont need to hold one fret down and put your finger over a different fret to play it.

2. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    There is a C harmonic on the D string a little bit before the 3rd fret.
    To make sure you get it, play the arpeggio of D7 on the D string starting on the 5th fret, 4th fret,3rd fret and a little bit passed the third one you should get your C.
    Hope this will help,
    SB

3. I assume you don't know artificial (tapped) harmonics then? To get a tapped harmonic for any note, just fret the note and tap the string 12 frets higher. To get a C, press the 3rd fret on the A string and tap the 15th fret, or to go up an octave, 5th fret on the G string and tap the 17th.

4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Can someone explain that chart to me? Everyone always links it when someone asks this question, I think I'm over thinking it.

I know it gives you the positons where to play them but what about the notes that they represent?

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    to play it WITHOUT tapping , there's a C natural at the C# position
    just above middle C on the G string , its a lil flat though so you may need to pull your neck towards you or press the G string past the nut to dial in.

6. The chart on the far left shows a dot for each of the playable harmonics. Those dots are color coded and correspond to the notes on the other two charts. To find out which note a given harmonic will produce, you find out what color the harmonic is, using the first chart, then you find the note of the same color and the same string on one of the other two charts.

7. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Well I'm a tad color blind so I guess that makes sense why I never got it :D