Anyone got experience with Nordstrand NPJ Blade Set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TuneSalad666, May 1, 2018.

1. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Just discovered the Nordstrand P/J set of their blade pickups.

The Clean & Clear version looks intriguing.

Anyone have any experience with them, and eventually know how much it differs from the Warm & Wooly version as well?

I don't have money to invest in them right now, and I am actually quite satisfied with my EMG Geezer Butler set, still I am tempted to at one point trying these pickups out.

NPJ Blade Set

2. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Bump!

Anyone?

3. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    No idea, I've got the Geezers myself, pretty happy with them too, but I'm also interested if anyone has tried these.

TuneSalad666 likes this.
  4. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I just installed a set of the "Warm and Wooly" J's. I'm loving them.

I've never heard any basses using the clean and clear, would love too though.

PawleeP and TuneSalad666 like this.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I have the crisp and clean JJ set in one of my basses. Was one of the guinea pigs for the set at introduction. Killer!

TuneSalad666 and PawleeP like this.
  6. Roccafella

Roccafella

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    What timing! I've been eyeing those and the NPJ4SE set pretty hard the last coiple days to replace the active MEC's in my '97 Warwick Fortress. I put the Audere Classic 3 band preamp in her a couple years ago for a HUGE improvement(the thing is magical). Now phase 2 is replacing the over bright MEC's. I believe Nordstrand will do semi-customish mix and match sets. Well they better, cuz whoever wrote the descriptions on the website must have minored in poetry and had a big ol book of adjectives next to them. That NP4A P pickup "sounds" sweet too.

Looking forward to some more experience chiming in. Any comments on tone? Is the tone bar graph on the website accurate?

7. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    what are MEC's?

8. Roccafella

Roccafella

May 20, 2009
    Orangevale, CA
    the pickups that are installed in most factory Warwick basses. (as far as i know?)

9. rubberweed

rubberweed

Jun 7, 2014
    London, UK
    A zombie thread but (raises hand) I just recently added a Nordstrand PJ Blade set to my bass. I opted for the clean and clear option for the J pickup and rate the pair highly.

WesW likes this.
  10. dewolfe03

dewolfe03

Nov 7, 2014
    @rubberweed

I've been looking at these for my fender aerodyne. Any chance you could post a sound sample? Are they more aggressive than most pj setups? How would you describe the sound?

Thanks

11. rubberweed

rubberweed

Jun 7, 2014
    London, UK
    Here’s a clip that will give you a great flavour for what the PJ Blade set sounds like.

It’ll certainly be a more aggressive sounding option to the already excellent pickup set your Aerodyne currently sports. But not at the expense of articulation.

dewolfe03 and JTE70 like this.
  12. dewolfe03

dewolfe03

Nov 7, 2014
    Thanks for the input and the video. I think I'm definitely going to have to pull the trigger on the npj set.

JTE70 likes this.
  13. JTE70

JTE70 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Florida
    I have a Power Blade and a Big Blade in the bridge, which is modified for Bart BC sized soapbar. I haven’t hooked it all up yet but will let you know when I do (Monday when my harness comes in). I imagine it’s going to be pretty massive!

Attached Files:

Keger Jupit likes this.
  14. rubberweed

rubberweed

Jun 7, 2014
    London, UK
    Really looking forward to your feedback. That’s a fine looking bass.

JTE70 likes this.
  15. JTE70

JTE70 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Florida
    Thanks! It’s a work in progress !

16. rubberweed

rubberweed

Jun 7, 2014
    London, UK
    Here’s my PJ Blade adorned bass.

Attached Files:

dewolfe03 and JTE70 like this.
  17. JTE70

JTE70 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Florida
    That is amazing! Love the green and pearl and blades.

So I used an old junk harness and got mine semi wired up. I’m confused by the extra gray wire, and I have a stacked vol setup. But it makes noises and sounds great. I’m sure it will sound even better with new lots and a correct wiring scheme!!

rubberweed likes this.
  18. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Awesome, & finally! I've tried starting a couple threads asking about the Big Blades. I'm VERY curious. They would go in a Schecter Riot 5. I detest the EMG setup, & the Nordy's have my full attention, as does either a Darkglass Tone Capsule or a John East Uni-pre. I would appreciate the feedback, also.

JTE70 likes this.
  19. JTE70

JTE70 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Florida
    I just got mine wired up! I don’t know how I did it and you know PJs are weird anyway with volume but I’ll tell you the Big Blade is a great match for the Power Blade. And even though the Big Blade is single coil, (I think?) it’s silent. So you have the output but I’m not getting noise. Maybe a hair if I turn up the gain.

Definitely recommend.

Keger Jupit likes this.
  20. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Have you ever played a G&L L-2000 or L-2500? I'm wondering how close the Blades get to that kind of output, ie volume. G&L's P/U's bring the HEAT, & I like all the sound clips I've heard of the Blades, but am curious as to how they compare output-wise.

Thanks for the update!

JTE70 likes this.