Anyone had LASIK Surgery?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Jan 12, 2015.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Are you happy with it? How long was the recovery? Any bad side effects? Did you write it off on your taxes? Is it perminant? How did you choose where to get it?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Had it a little over a year ago. Had cataracts, so new lenses and cuts to help with astigmatism. No real recovery time at all. Just need someone to drive you home. Takes almost no time at all. No pain involved.
    I am very happy with the results. I can see a whole lot better now and really only need my glasses for reading.

3. Not everyone can have it. You need to be assessed to see if you qualify.
    My eye doctor told me I couldn't do it.....(Not just Lasik, but any and all companies that do it).

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    my eye doctor told me not to do it. i think it's because he desperately needs my patronage. :confused:

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I am curios to know why. I was referred by my eye doctor and evaluated by the surgeon before we did anything.
    I chose the least expensive non-focusing lens because my eye doctor told me because I am a shooter, I would hate the expensive focusing kind.

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    There's different kinds of LASIK?

7. suckybassplaya

suckybassplaya

Jun 24, 2010
    I had it done almost 5 years ago. Recovery was basically just one day of not really doing anything that strains your eyes. Which means no TV, no books, no computer, etc. I mostly slept. Your eyes don't really hurt, but they are a bit uncomfortable for that first day. And they give you eye drops you need to use for a week, I think. You also may be very sensitive to light for a little bit.

I love it. One of the best things I ever did. I can't imagine having to go back to dealing with contacts and glasses. Just keep in mind, that once you hit a certain age, you will still probably need reading glasses, as that is a eye-muscle issue and not something fixable via Lasik. But I have been lucky to not have any major side effects.

Also, as other people mentioned, talk to your eye doctor and see if you can get a referral to a place that will do a free assessment. Unfortunately, not everyone is a good candidate for Lasik. Depends on exactly what is wrong with your eyes, prescription strength and some other factors. Through my research (and I tried to do a lot), it appears that most of the people who are unhappy with Lasik are those who were advised that they were not good candidates but decided to do it anyway.

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    My mother had laser eye surgery a few years ago. Her regular eye doctor told her she was going to go blind. I took her to a laser eye surgery doctor who told her that she was not going blind and she had cataracts that they could fix. She had one eye done with a couple days to take it easy and did not have any complications. She had the other eye done six weeks later with the same results. After going back for periodic checkups over a year or so, the eye doctor said she now has 20/20 vision and she only needs reading glasses for small type or to crochet. She sees better than I do now. It was more than well worth it in her case.

9. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    In my 30's, my eye doctor told me I was a candidate, but that it would only be good until my eyes started to change in my 40's. I decided it wasn't worth it.

Now the predicted change in my eyes occurred, and being slightly nearsighted, I can read without glasses but need corrective lenses for distance. If I'd had the surgery when I had a chance, I'd be wearing bifocals now.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    There's special 3-D imaging ones that cost more and are a bit more accurate during the laser beam zapping.

11. I'm interested in this as well. Any long-term concerns one should know? i've heard that after so many years you need something like a "tune-up" of some sorts, which involves having your eyes checked by the clinic. Whether this would involve surgery or not I don't know. Also how much does a "turn key" procedure cost. This is one issue being talked about in my neck of the woods. Clinics advertise their services for "from C$495 per eye" but the more realistic cost is in the thousands.

12. This thread is freaking me out. I'd like lasik but...

WHAT IF YOU BLINK OR MOVE YOUR EYEBALL DURING THE PROCEDURE?

Yes. I'm paranoid. My eyes are attached to my brain.

I've seen enough science fiction films to know how dangerous lasers can be

13. suckybassplaya

suckybassplaya

Jun 24, 2010
    I'm in the US, and this was 5 years ago, so keep that in mind, but mine cost about $4500 for both eyes. It was $2500 for each eye, and my insurance covered $500. So, pretty damn expensive, but for me, it was worth it.

As for side effects, I remember all the paper-work gave a ridiculously long list of potential side-effects (including death), but most of those are extremely rare. The most common side-effects, I believe, are light-haloing (basically seeing rings around sources of light) and light sensitivity, both of which I had for awhile after the surgery, but I don't have any problems with right now.

As for "tune-ups", as I understand it, there is some change for your eyes to "correct" themselves a year or so after surgery after your eyes fully heal. In fact, most doctors will "over-correct" your eyes during surgery so that you end up being 20-20 (or close to it) after fully healing (which does take quite a bit of time). The surgeon I went to had a deal where if I continue going to my eye doctor for my yearly eye exams, and if I ever need any adjustments, they will be for free (this would require going under the laser again). But after the one year mark, very few people will see any change (unless you are under 18 or 21, I can't remember which; they generally will not let you do Lasik until you are over this age, as your eyes could still change).

Again, you may still need reading glasses later on in life (all my doctors have said mid-40's to 50's) due to muscle degradation in the eye, but that can't be fixed by Lasik. Basically, my advice to anyone looking into it, is to find someone reputable that does Lasik and do a free consultation. A good surgeon will only suggest it if you are a good candidate and can talk about any concerns you may have.

14. suckybassplaya

suckybassplaya

Jun 24, 2010

LOL. You can't blink. They put this thing over your eye that makes it physically impossible. In fact, that was the worst part procedure for me. Them putting on the device. And I'm pretty squeamish when it comes to eyes (although, I was able to use contacts for 15 years or so), and that was the only freaky part. The actual laser part wasn't that big of a deal. As for moving your eyes, all I can say is.....don't. They strapped my head in, and told me to look into this light. The actual lasering takes maybe 30 seconds to a minute, I believe (it's been awhile, but it was definitely a pretty quick procedure; way more time prepping than actually doing anything).

15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, yes. I'm happy with it.

It took a couple one day to recover after the surgery. My eyes were very sensitive after the surgery and things were still blurry, but I could make out things as if I could see 20/20. They make you wear eye shields at first so you don't rub your eyes by accident. My vision started clearing up after a couple of hours and was getting 20/20 vision. Pretty mind blowing.

Bad side effects, none.

It isn't necessarily permanent. My vision has slowly regressed. I got it when I was 34 and it's been 10 years since the surgery, I've had three different prescription eye glasses since. Each prescription being a bit stronger. My eye glasses used to be thick. My eyeglass lenses are still very thin so it's not a big deal. I also wear contacts. I thought I was done with glasses and contacts forever. I guess not.

I went to an eye center associated with Johns Hopkins Hospital, Wilmer Eye Institute, referred to me by a brother-in-law who was a doctor at the hospital. The one thing they didn't tell me was the operating room was freezing cold to keep the laser equipment from over-heating. It was summer and I was wearing a t-shirt and cargo shorts.

16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Is it a hand held laser? I mean, is it like surgery or is it a procedure like an MRI or an x-ray?

17. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I had it about ten years ago on one eye. The doctor I went to said my vision was good enough that one eye would be adequate. It has been great without glasses. Especially driving at night.
    No bad side effects or problems. I forget how long the recovery time was.
    When I was in my forties I started needing glasses and I thought "Well that's gone and it ain't coming back." I remember how happy I was when I looked up in the sky and clearly saw a jet passing overhead without my glasses. Yup, it came back.

18. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    There is a device that squeezes your eyeball into a cylindrical bracket, literally. The doctor had trouble getting my eyeball in. He finally got each one in, but there was a lot of pressure involved and the whites of my eyes turned red from the blood, literally, like I got punched out. So I looked I had zombie eyes for awhile. Anyway, once your eye is in this thingy, there is so much suction and pressure that you cannot move your eye ball and you cannot close your eyelid. At this point, it is safe for the doctor to cut the flap, zap your cornea and replace the flap. You are told to focus on the blinking red dot. I focused as hard as I could during this time. I could heard this mechanical buzzing sound of a machine and the smell of burnt flesh which was interesting, but I focused on the red light dot.

19. So, $5000. Might kill you. Probably still need glasses.

You guys aren't doing a very good job convincing me!

[​IMG]

20. My uncomfortable level is now hovering at a steady one million percent.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021