1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have 15" speaker recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by El Beardo, Oct 12, 2009.

1. So I have a 1x15" cab that needs a new speaker. I need it to be 8ohms and handle 350wts. I'm using a GK MB2-500 with a Genz Benz Neo 212x(8ohm) cab too. I will use the 1x15" cab with the 2x12" sometimes and sometimes I'll run it alone. So what do you say TB? Thanks in advance :cool:

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    kappalite 3015 will work fine unless there is something crazy exceptional about the cabinet shape/tuning. beachaudio or speakerhardware are both about the same on the best price (~130 bucks)

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Don't laugh. Peavey Black Widow.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Costs as much as a Kappalite and weighs three times as much, in addition to not going as low or as loud.

5. I was considering it actually. :D

Good point, the Widows are heavier than the Neodymium magnet by a long shot but I work at a music store that deals with peavey so the price for a peavey is actually a little less than a Kappalite for me. The Kappa is 450wts compared to the Widow @ 350wts but from what I saw they both have a usable freq. range of 40Hz-4kHz.

So far I have some good food for thought, I hope I get some more recommendations, thanks guys.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The kappa also goes lower and should have in the neighborhood of 6db more maximum output in addition to 2-3db more sensitivity (so it'll get 6db louder before exploding and it's 2-3db louder at the same wattage).

There's no FR chart for the BW 15 that I can find, but the xmax is less than half, which indicates it'll have quite a bit less low frequency output.

Beach audio has kappalite 3015's for 130, basically wholesale prices, so I doubt you'll save much money going with a Peavey even wholesale (probably 20-30 bucks for a drastically inferior, much heavier speaker).

7. ZB3

ZB3

Feb 20, 2009
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Peavey Shefield Pro1500+ has a broader freq range than the black widow, costs less and replaced the BW in many of their cabs. When I called Peavey they said they liked the sound better is some of the cabs. Have fun, Wayne

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I have a few single cabs with the BW.. zero issues with low end.

NOTE you can buy a magnet and MOST of the time buy a basket of your preference.

9. I haven't heard of an 8 Ohm Neox 2x12. Are you sure?????

If it's 4 Ohm, the G-K amp won't tolerate the net impedance of an additional cab.

10. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    It all boils down to how much you want to spend, I currently have a couple of 3015's in TL-606 Boxes and at one point I had a couple of Black Widow's in them, I also had EVM 15B's in them also, they all had there own sound, if you do use the EVM Speakers ... try to find the Pro version, as it has the 400 watt voice coil, or get one reconed with the 400 watt voice coil

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Wattage ratings of drivers alone say nothing about how much power they can actually make use of. Xmax does. For every doubling of xmax the actual power the driver can make use of quadruples. The xmax of the 3015LF is 9.6mm, the Black Widow 1505 5.1mm. At a paltry 3.6mm the Sheffield Pro 1500+ is a pro in name only.

12. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    The Carvin neo is a good option at $99. it goes 35-3 and weighs 7.5 pounds.

13. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've got a TNTs in our practice space with the Sheffield and it can NOT handle a low B. I don't care for it, but it was $125.

14. +1 on the Carvin. i recently got a beat up old peavey 1516 that was dead. i replaced the speakers with a Carvin 15 and two Carvin 8's, and it sounds pretty damn good. i leave it at the drummers house and when we jam at his place, i just take my GK MB2-500. it really sounds pretty good with that head in particular.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The carvin 15 neo is not a good choice with its severely insufficient xmax for bass guitar use. Something like 3mm. Less than even a Basslite or a Deltalite.

If it were on sale for 50 bucks I'd consider it, but until then, I would stick to a basslite, deltalite, or kappalite. Or if I had more money to spend I might consider some of the nicer Beyma/B&C/Faital drivers, which have a bit more top end, but I doubt it :)

16. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma

+1

17. You are correct sir, it is a 4ohm cab but I thought I could just rewire it to be 8ohms.....which I apparently can't. :( It throws a wrench in the works as far as using the two cabs together but I still want to replace the 15" speaker. At least I'll have the choice of cabs once it's replaced. Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, I knew my fellow TBers wouldn't let me down. :bassist:

18. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Go to e-bay there are 2- 12" black widow blown speaker's on there buy one for the magnet it will work for the 18-15-and 12 " speaker's they have plenty of bottom you can buy a replacement basket the new design will work for between 70 and 80 buck's ,that way if you blow it down the road "doubtfully"you can get another basket and fix it yourself ,i don't care about all the tec. stuff as long as it sound's good and hold's up, i have used pretty much every kind of speaker out there,for the money you can't beat the peavey.