1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have a Carvin MB15 bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Olde Axeman, Oct 14, 2010.

1. I'm ready to upgrade to a better bass amp. 200 watts and a single 15" speaker will do everything I need. I keep hearing really good things about Carvin's new Micro Bass amp (MB15). 200-250 watts, 15" speaker, 33 lbs., made in USA, and $440 delivered to my door.

Just wondered if anyone actually owned one and, if so, how well they liked it and whether or not they have any quality issues.

I like that it's made in the USA. I don't buy products made in China, so that eliminates a lot of the cheaper stuff out there for me. This could be my next purchase unless there's a lot of bad experiences to relate.

Here's a link to their web site:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=MB15

2. Carvin's stuff is great. I just bought a full PA from them and it kills, but don't open it up or you might see a "made in china" sticker on some of the components.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I went to the store in San Diego and played with all of the new combos. I like the MB12 the best, it has 3 drivers in it including a midrange and doesn't lack low-end, but the MB15 was a great sounding amp and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I didn't have a Carvin 15" combo already. I did buy the MB10 for a practice combo (in Blue). The little thing really cranks and I can imagine being heard even in a band setting, especially with an extension.
    Another guy was in the test area with me and he plugged in an active 5-string and let me dial up tones thru the MB15. This is a good test because you can see how the combo handles not only the hotter input signal of the active bass, but also the depth of the low B. The MB15 passed with flying colors on all accounts and I jacked it up pretty loud. I also played the with built-in limiter, which helps keep the amp from distorting, but never had to use it much (3) even when pushing the amp hard. It's a nice feature to have on a lower priced combo.
    IMO the only other combo in it's price range that competes with the MB15 is the new GK 15" NEO combo. Both are winners but the Carvin has a more extensive EQ section and more power when adding an extension.

Jhengsman, brisonic and kohanmike like this.
  4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Somewhere in this forum there's a long thread about the MBxx series, with reviews of each model.

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Can you tell me what you got Rip? I'm interest in buying one myself. I tried (while I was there) the 4-amp (400w each), 12 channel powered mixer into two dual 15" tower style cabs and was floored. The 3-way cabs also sounded great.

:help:

6. Not yet. Next week I hope!!!!

7. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Florida
    I own the MB15..love it..the DI output is slammin tight.The para EQ is versatile and shapes the sound beautifully. It's light,loud,and just what you would expect from Carvin:Excellent quality. I just ordered the ext cab to get a little extra umph.

kohanmike likes this.
  8. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Yep, by suggestion of 1stnamebassist, I bought one last Labor Day with a neo speaker to save weight, plus the 115MBE extension cabinet for the occasion that I need even more power. It is kick ass.

Carvin rig and me.jpg

Bass V, MCF and 1stnamebassist like this.
  9. I've had my mb15 with the extension cab for around three years or so and I love it. It's a clean uncolored sound and it seems to work great with some effects also. Gets loud and as mentioned earlier the compressor or limiter works nice to even out the peaks as long as you don't turn it up too much. I barely turn mine on just to limit hard peaks if playing loud. The contour and parametric eq is fantastic and what makes this amp really shine. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I play a Pbass a Rickenbacker and an Epiphone Jack Casady as well as a Kala ubass through it and they all sound great. If you like overdrive you will need external effects because I can't seem to get any breakup even with the preamp cranked so that may be something to consider. I use a zoom m60b for overdrive and amp sims and it works great and is cheap at about 100.00 new. Let us know what you get!

kohanmike likes this.
  10. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Florida
    CdyP2zjW4AE4RsR.jpg

Got my ext cab today..now I really rumble!

11. Gets pretty loud huh!? How do you like the MB12? I had heard it works best on the floor with the downfiring speaker. Do you notice a difference off the floor either positive or negative?

12. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Florida
    It sounds amazing! Yep,the down firing 12 sounds super when the MB12 is on the floor,but while it rides atop the ext cab it seem to open up quite a bit without getting muddy.Just an over all fuller sound,to my ears at least. It's just a great little amp with tremendous versatility in such a small footprint.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  13. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Interesting how small 2 15's look, but I am sure the sound is dominating.

14. kohanmike

Yep. Used just the MB15 Tuesday for a gig with 55 uke players, our leader on a PA and an audience of over 200, worked just great. Last August I used both units for the first time at an outdoor gig in a large open tent with 65 of us and the leader on a major PA system, about 300 audience. The sound man of three years of our previous performances said this rig really came through great.

1stnamebassist and FingerDub like this.
  15. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    I'm in LA too, send me your next gig, maybe I'll come out.

16. kohanmike

So far I only have an opportunity to use them 2-3 times a year (most of the time I use my Phil Jones Double Four), next one will be sometime in spring, you'll have to remind me. For sure at the end of next August for the Culver City Fiesta La BalloƱa, Veterans Memorial Park at Overland Ave and Culver Blvd.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  17. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Don't have one, but is certainly on my radar. Like the similar GK offerings, I like the concept of a lightweight combo with decent power and an available powered extension cab when needed. When I get serious, I'll make the drive down to SD and take a long hard look and listen.

18. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Just ordered mine yesterday, and should be getting it in on Thursday. No more hauling 100lbs of rig to rehearsal, or plugging into the crappy little thing they have laying around there that somehow passes for an amp.

19. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I have the BX700 and two MB115's and couldn't be happier. Easy to get in and out, and plenty for anything out there in or outdoors.

thejacknut likes this.
  20. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    That's great to hear! Makes me feel a lot better about my "buy before try" purchase.

kpc likes this.