1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here looking at NYOC?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Ryker_M, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    Well, the NYOC rep is up and running; just wondering how many people here are interesting in auditioning?

Compared to last year's ridiculous requirements for the bass excerpts and the solo; this year seems pretty tame. Just wanted to see what the field of competitors looks like :3

2. JPHYeoh

JPHYeoh

Jan 22, 2013
    Calgary
    I'll be going for it again this year. This past summer was quite the amazing experience so I definitely recommend it!

I find that this list is way harder this year! Probably because these excerpts are more representative of a pro audition as opposed to the rep that they're doing.

3. Jordan M

Jordan M

May 10, 2009
    Yeah I don't think this is entirely Ed's list.

4. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Jeremy McCoy is listed as faculty this year along with Ed. There is a good chance that he has some influence over the list as well.

It's a pretty standard looking list. I have never encountered the second Mendelsshon excerpt on a list before (I've seen several others from Mendelsshon 4 though) and often you see the Bach at pitch.

What are your thoughts on the video audition process? Although it has to be all in one take, they encourage you to try multiple takes... It's a pretty long list to get lucky on one whole take, but it definitely changes the game from a live audition.

5. Jordan M

Jordan M

May 10, 2009
    Last year I learned a lot about recording after I started like 50 takes or something. I remember lying face-down on the floor beside my bass, crying.

6. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Why was the first concert in London cancelled last year?

7. JPHYeoh

JPHYeoh

Jan 22, 2013
    Calgary
    Apparently there were less tickets than musicians on the stage..