Anyone into magic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass__player01, May 3, 2005.

1. Last week, I saw on tv a guy named David Blaine, who was doing some street magic and this guy really was awesome.
    This guy made me want to get into magic a little bit, and I've been doing some search on the internet and I find mostly stuff that we have to buy.. books movies.

I'd like to know if any of you might know some place where i could find easy starting magic tricks or stuff like that.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do you have a local magic shop? That'd probably be one of the best places to get started and get recomendations. They'll typically do some tricks for you and you can purchase ones that you like. I used to be into magic in junior high and high school. Do some google searches for magic tricks or card tricks. Card tricks are numerous and cheap since all it takes is a deck of cards.

I don't care for David Blain personally.. He seems to try to make people think that he really does have magic powers. For instance, on one show I saw he went to Haiti, where people really believe in voodoo and whatnot. He was doing some freaky stuff that the people were totally believing. Then he also went to visit a primitive tribe in some other country and did some similar stuff. If he just billed himself as a cool illusionist then I'd be OK with him but I've seen too many times where he seems to really be working the naivete of certain types of people. I think he wants people to view him as some kind of magical, mystical freak.

brad cook
  3. Yeah you're right about this... what I loved was the illusion and card tricks part, but I don't know any other magician for now...

I'll try to see if there's a local magic shop around
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Isn't Blain the guy who parked himself in a plastic box in London for forty-something days last year?
  5. I really liked that Olivia Newton John song....

Also, I have a local majic shop if you can believe it. Two blocks from my house. You have to believe they are magic.
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I can make a bottle of wine and an entire meal disappear...
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    "Here's my bedroom, this is where the magic happens."
  8. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I used to play that game all the time. I dropped about 2K in cards and sold them all 4 years later for about $300. Such a waste of time...oh...tricks...welll...David Copperfield rules.
  9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Wrong thread, this should be in "Cheesy pickup lines that are hopeless thread" :D
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    or "references to the first season of mtv's cribs" thread. :D
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I got magic... its in my pants!

Really... i have a rebbit in my pocket!

12. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Penn & Teller. That is real magic...if there is such a thing.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I love magic. Yes, a local magic shop is usually the best place to get your hands into it. Online, check out Louis Tannen and Penguin Magic.

I've been fortunate to see Harry Blackstone Jr. and Doug Henning perform live (but since they're both dead now, maybe I shouldn't go see any other magicians' shows ;) ) and to visit the Magic Castle in Hollywood. For whatever reason, David Copperfield bores me.
  14. I've always wanted to get into it. Levitation is such a cool illusion.
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Same here...too much drama, not enough magic.

It was always funny when they'd do a parody of him on Conan O'Brian though.

brad cook