Anyone know a teacher in central New Jersey?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by appler, Aug 29, 2005.

1. appler

appler Guest

I tried the forum search but I didn't come up with anything. Does anybody know a good teacher in the central New Jersey area? (Union county) Classical or jazz; either one works. I've been playing for about three years. Thanks a lot!
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't know NJ but isn't Rufus Reid there? I think a little bit a travel would be well worth it to study with him.
  3. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Vince Fay is also in that area.
  4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    I studied one summer with Paul Harris of the New Jersey Symphony and was very impressed. I would highly reccomend him.
  5. appler

appler Guest

Thanks, guys. I was fortunate enough to have a master class with Mr. Harris once several years ago that was nothing short of incredible, but I'm only a high school student so I was looking for someone local to me. I also had a couple lessons with Cameron Brown when he subbed for Joris Teepe (another great player and teacher) at NJPAC's jazz for teens program. I've found a very good teacher in my area who happens to post here occasionally. Thanks for all your help!
  6. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    If you're serious about music, I would look into the pre-college programs at MSM or juilliard. Linda McKnight at MSM is a great teacher and Joel Braun (Eugene Levinson's teaching assistant) is basically levinson except younger and and Russian. With the recent passing of the great Homer Mensch (may he rest in peace) there will be a new faculty member at juilliard and pre-college soon, look out for the big anouncement.

They're both great programs (complete with orchestra, theory, etc). No offense to the great teachers in NJ but you can't beat the education you'd get at one of those places.
  7. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Check out Purchase College. It's not too far from the GWB and we have Timothy Cobb for classical, and Todd Coolman, Doug Weiss, and Kermit Driscoll teaching jazz. Not too shabby!

Also, if you're looking to take some private jazz lessons, Todd lives in Jersey, and he also teaches from his home for a very reasonable rate. And believe me, it don't get any better than Todd, he's KILLING at jazz and classical. You can email him from his website ( if you're interested and tell him that Pete Coco recommended you to him.

He will get you on the right track, no doubt whatsoever!
  8. aworonczuk

Mar 15, 2006
    Mary Javian is a great teacher...she subs for the Philadelphia Orchestra, went to Curtis

She teaches in the Princeton area, although she lives in Philly
  9. kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Linda McKnight takes some private students if you're not into precolleges. Otherwise auditioning at Juilliard or MSM for their precollege programs will be the best experience possible if you want to make the most out of your playing and if you have the money and the time commitment. What bow do you play?

Rufus Reid might have a spot open for you. A handful of Linda's students who play jazz study with Rufus.

I would even look into studying with David Grossman. He might be available if he's around Rutgers one day a week or two weeks. He's really busy so emailing him might take a few days, but it's worth a shot.