1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know anything about 1994 P Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by manoverboard24, Oct 19, 2009.

1. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    Can anyone tell me something about Fender Standard Precision Bass MIM? i ordered one from GC used.

wat r the pros and cons about 94?

2. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    anyone??

3. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    i just need to know: are they cheaper and sound bad? or anything.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The older MIM's are decent enough.

They were usualy made of Poplar if memory serves me. The fit , finish and hardware aren't up to the same standards as the curent MIM line. That's not to say that it isn't functional or useable, it's just they've upgraded them quite a bit over the past five or six years.

I'd say if you got it in the $200 range , you did fine.

Pretty good P bass on a budget(required IMO)

5. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    ya i got it 250 + warrentys and stuff. so it came out to be 300. but its better than 550 normal price.

but dude, can u tell me, how different is it from a nowadays p bass? sound wise?

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    It's a P bass... it will sound like a P bass... not much different sounding than a "nowadays" P bass.

Keep in mind , that bass probably cost less than $300 when it was new. I think in 94 those were about $250ish brand new.

I'd say that's "all the money" for a 94 MIM P. I wouldn't say you got taken, but that's definitly the high side of the market for one of those (required IMO)

The difference is stuff like....

-I find the fret work on the newer ones to be better done, and finished nicer.

-Poplar body vs. Alder on the new ones. Alder is the more traditional Fender tone wood, but Poplar sounds very similar. The difference between the two sound wise would be minimal at best.

-the pots on the oldere MIM are not as high quality as the newer models. Again, you probably aren't going to notice a difference in sound, but they may wear out faster than the upgraded ones on the newer model.

-Not sure if the pickups were upgraded or not on the newer version, but either way... it's going to sound like a P bass.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    $250... yikes. Well, I guess $250 isn't what it used to be... If you dig it, then have fun.

8. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    the market went up. so did the cost for p basses. now u buy new MIMs for $550

anyways, i love the p bass. always have, fave bass. and im glad i got a p bass for 250. lowest price on guitar center used :)

any mods i should put on it?

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    What are you trying to acomplish with it?

10. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    u know what. forget the mods.

does the poplar and alder wood have THAT much of a difference. arent they VERY similar?

the finish isnt good on poplar huh. and how much heavier are the 2 compared on p basses

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You probaby won't notice a difference in tone between Poplar and Alder. They typicaly sound pretty similar.

The fretwork tends to be finished better on the newer basses IMO.

The paint finishes are typicaly done more nicely on the newer ones as well. That has nothing to do with the body wood though,

Weight should be about the same as a new one. Somewhere in the 9 pound neiborhood give or take a little.

I wouldn't go modding it unless you have a good reason to. Again, this is only my opinion, but what would I know. ;)

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    They were made by Fender.

They have a neck, and pickup.

I hope that helps! :D

13. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    Okay well in 1994 they made MIM p basses and MIM squier series they were the same bass but they squiers had cheaper hardware, same bodies and necks. Poplar bodies usually made of multi pieces, poplar is usually a very ugly wood bare.

They are not really anything like the new 2008-2009 MIM's, fender MIM took 2 quality leaps, around 2002 and 2008. In 2002 i think is the year alder bodies were used and the P's got metal knobs and jazz got the jazz style knobs instead of the strat knobs,

The 2009's are about the same but have better quality control i think meaning less lemons, a better looking decal , parchment guards and i think the neck is a bit tinted.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    ... except that they are both P basses, and will sound like P basses... because they are P basses.

They've definilty been upgraded over the years.

The MIM Fender in 1994 occupied about the same place in the market that the Squier Classic Vibe/Vintage Modifieds occupy now. (required IMO)

The MIM line has definilty moved up market in recent history.

15. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    alright well, is that it? i could buy the steel knobs from GC to replace the black ones that they come with. and such.

are the pickups the same?

16. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    & what does required IMO mean?

17. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    Whats better? Agithius or Poplar?

here put it this way...are the 1994 FENDER MIM's better than nowaday squiers. hopefully the answers YES...?

18. manoverboard24

manoverboard24

Jul 9, 2009
    Whats better? Agithius or Poplar?

here put it this way...are the 1994 FENDER MIM's better than nowaday squiers. hopefully the answers YES...?

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Honestly, I think you're worrying about stuff that isn't going to make a much if any difference.

Put a good set of strings on it. Get it set up and rock out with it.

It's a Fender Precision. It'll be fine.

20. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    Its a production bass , meaning quality varies from each .Its possible a squier is better then a fender MIA.

I have had 3 MIM's but now have a squier classic vibe P i like more.So in my case a squier calssic vibe is better then my MIM's were.

And agathius is crap wood