Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone played an Ovation B778?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Jul 28, 2004.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Ran a search and there wasn't much information on it.

This one is definitely in the high-rent district as far as ABG's go. Just wondering if anyone had played one, and how it compared to the Tacomas, Martins and Taylors of the world...

Thanks in advance :)

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    bump

Awww c'mon, someone must have.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Shards shards on the floor...

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    One last bump.

Anyone played one?

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Sounds like a plane.

*free bump* :)

6. Motley Monkey

Motley Monkey

Jul 3, 2006
    Is there much difference between the B778 and the NSB778...???

7. I own a B778 and love it. I played every other acoustic bass that came in "lefty" and this one really stood out. It's loud enough to cut through an acoustic jam if UR mates have a clue about dynamics. If they play aggressively, U'll need an amp. Mine is in the shop right now having additional pickups installed (I'm trying to obtain a specific sound), but the factory piezos sound great. The action is high, even when U try to get it as low as possible, but I don't mind that. If I had to do it all over, I'd buy the Ovation, unless I could find my white whale - a lefty EB Earthwood Bass.

8. I played one, and it sounded nice, but...the round back did not fit my body when I was sitting down..or standing. Not too ergonomic, me thinks.

9. GrinchBass

GrinchBass

Jul 26, 2009
    CT, Hudson Valley, Randland
    Just under Commercial Status!
    Played a few, never liked them. Most ABG, unless you shell out the cash big time, are only worth the novelty, IMO. The ovation ABGs are only decent plugged in. Especially the one for that guy in the hair band. The amount of paint on the soundboard is obscene. Their electronics work overtime to make up for lackluster instruments.

10. ^^^A bit harsh. My ABG is useful for acoustic jams, playing while watching telly or not disturbing everyone late at night, just to pick up to work out a melody without having to plug in etc. Not a novelty, a useful tool.

11. GrinchBass

GrinchBass

Jul 26, 2009
    Hey, opinions are what they are. Yeah, I've got a harsh view about them, and Michael Kelly's, and cheap Washburns, but that's my point of view. For the money, the Thunderchief is a much better deal, IMO. As well, I'm not lying about how much paint is on the muddly cranker's bass. That's covered in some stiff car paint, for sake.

12. I know what "IMO" means. If you don't like something..fine, don't buy it. But why are you so uptight about them even existing? Chill out, Grinch. Most instruments fill a market niche.

13. GrinchBass

GrinchBass

Jul 26, 2009
    I thought the thread was about opinions. I though the OP was asking what we thought. I thought I was part of "we." I'm sorry, didn't realize my opinion shouldn't be stated. Didn't realize it was an ovation stroking thread. My bad.

My opinion, which was openly asked for, was about said, bass. I personally don't like it, would never buy it, and in the open context of this particular thread, I shared my thoughts.

STFU

14. ^I don't think you adressed what the OP asked, but hey, that's only my opinion. I'm only saying you have a very aggresive writing style...maybe drink less coffee.

15. I have the import version...forget the model number now, CC274 maybe?...but has the epaulet sound holes,like the B778. It's a nice player, good sound (IMO) with its bronzewound strings, but is admittedly a handful.

I like it because it's different, can keep up with the band (plugged in) if you want, and is just cool to have around. But I have a few hundred in it, not 2K+.

16. Wayne Dupuis

Wayne Dupuis

Jun 11, 2010
    I bought it just to look at. It's beautiful. Sounds loud full unplugged, polices the pre is good as well. I am a big boy so holding this our strapped on works well either way.This bass may have a stigma attached who cares it's a great tool. Plays a lot like higher end Tacoma but bdtter quality finish.