1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone playing bass clean with no effects?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzyvee, Nov 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I prefer the natural sound of my bass and do not use effects.

260 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. I prefer to use effects to change the way my bass sounds.

59 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I just love the sound of my bass with no effects at all. ( I haven't ever used them live but tried a couple in a shop and it wasn't that I didn't like the effect ( envelope filter ), I didn't like what they took out of my sound, whether on or off. But in reality I have no need for them.

I wonder if the desire to play clean through a clean bass rig is popular these days as most gigs I go to the bass player has one or more effects pedals in their board.

I don't have any axe to grind with anyone using effects, as where I've heard them being used they work bang on with the music.

Artman, bassbooty, G Aichele and 7 others like this.
  2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I like to play with little to no effects alot of the time. Maybe some compression.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have 2 pedalboards and a whole bunch of pedals. When I am practicing at home, I use the pedals. When I am jamming for fun with my friends (the majority of my playing these days) I use the pedals.

When I have a gig? I leave the pedals at home and plug my bass into the house-provided DI.
    When I have a recording session? I leave the pedals at home and do whatever the engineer suggests.

ps Please don't post this in the Effects sub-forum. ;) They have a strict policy against "effects are unnecessary" type threads.

Artman, Rock Salad, Morrighan and 9 others like this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think you’ll find that a clear majority of players do this.

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Ironically, I have a huge pedal board mainly full of all kinds of overdrives and and fuzzes, but most of the time, a clean sound is the most appropriate. Which males me kind of sad, but it's best for all.

6. headband

headband

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    I never use pedals for shows. I do have a few that I fool around with at times, but they stay home.

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    My standard set up is bass>amp. It's pretty hard to beat.

8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Compression is the only pedal I have (besides a looper for messin around at home) and I shoot for the cleanest sound possible 99% of the time. Lately however, I’ve been diggin the La Bella Grape Ape Tapewound strings on my main fretted and running an ever so slightly overdriven input. Quite fun and different for me.

jamro217 likes this.
  9. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I have peds, but they stay in their boxes. The ONLY one that SOMETIMES gets used (besides a tuner) is my SansAmp Bass DI, but over the years it's not been used very much

jamro217 likes this.
  10. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I know I ought to turn off my compressor once in a while, just to prove I can, but I don’t. :D

11. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    What are effects? Ok, yeah, I know. I have never used, tried, or owned anything like a pedal. Strictly clean for me, often not even amped.

jamro217 and Sixgunn like this.
  12. Technically, while I DON'T play without effects, I feel that a good compressor is a must for every player- Hey, if it's gonna be compressed (or at least, limited) in the studio, then WHY does everyone get bent out of shape for a live rig?

The root of my tone starts with the bass through a Keeley Bassist . I simply like the way it gives the sound a "studio-tan" before anything else in my rig.

That being said- the core of the tone I go for is simple- try to mimic an SVT just on the edge of "grind".

So, the basics for me- Bass into the Keeley Bassist, then an Ampeg SC-DI, Quilter Bass Block 800 (which does its own, tubey goodness ad warmth without the tubes voodoo), and finally, driving into SVT810 cab.

I sub in a Tronographics Rusty Box for a different colored preamp (the SCR-DI does have tones of SVT mojo in it).

13. Gee Man

Gee Man

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    The only time I'm using pedals is on the rare occasion when I plug in one of my neglected electric guitars. Never with the bass.

Artman, jamro217 and eJake like this.
  14. Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon

Jan 4, 2016
    Well, effects don't necessarily have to color the sound greatly either. I'm using compression and noise reduction. Technically they're pedals, but the noise reduction is just to make it silent when not playing, and the compression is set pretty light. I've yet to find any "real" effects that improve on straight though. There could be a song or two that might make sense to use something else though, but I've really yet to run into one that my band actually plays.

basscapes likes this.
  15. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    The only effects one really needs are in the fingers.

Whil57, GreyMark, DrZ and 10 others like this.
  16. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Playing clean is cool, playing with effects is cool too. I have a pretty decent selection of pedals that I can pull out if called for. Some stuff really benefits from some sound-scapin' with filters or chorus and even a little dirt here and there. It can be a little nerve wracking to make these things do what you really want them to do when you're on the spot at a gig, it takes practice just like anything else.

You can never really go wrong with a good clean tone though.

17. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi jazzyvee :)

Not a pedal boy either. The only effect I use is "louder". :D (gets that sweeeeet tube sound)

:thumbsup: The question would be a "bit stupid" over there. :smug:

But it' s okay on "Basses"

btw: A poll would be great to get some %s (Don 't forget the "carrots" option!)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

18. I don't use effects and never have. I simply set the EQ from the amp and play. Keep it simple with less things to malfunction. :D

Chrome Dome and pappabass like this.
  19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I use a chorus pedal on maybe two songs and some overdrive to produce sustain at a few songs endings. Do I need them? No, matter but it makes it kinda fun. 95% of my tone is clean.

Andii Syckz likes this.
  20. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    I don’t use any pedals. The only thing I do is engage the limiter switch on my amp.