1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone run an Ampeg PF500 preamp into a poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stompin Tom, May 17, 2017.

1. I know Ampeg says you can slave a poweramp to the head with the preamp out, but I was wondering if anyone has any real-world experience doing this.

I've searched the forum, but I've only found people suggesting this as an option.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It works fine, but I don't much see the point of doing it since it's already got 500w. What would be the reason you want to do it?

Downunderwonder likes this.
  3. I'm considering running another cab for certain gigs, and my current rig is already at 4 ohms. It might also be nice to have more headroom with the smaller rig, though I'm not sure it'd make much difference. Long term I might switch to a dedicated preamp with a poweramp, but that's another tone quest and more $$.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well it's pretty easy to do, at least.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021