Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone use Fruity Loops?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by cossie, Jul 27, 2005.

1. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hi,

A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of fruity loops a while back, i downloaded the demo of it and i've been getting to grips with it since, i have a very limited knowledge and experience with recording software, but i like fruity loops a lot, and as i get better aquainted with fruity loops, my song writing has been getting better too.

i use it for recording ideas i have for songs, and then passing them on to the other guys in my band, so i'm not necessarily looking for world class stuff.

so i'm thinking of paying to get a full version of it, but i'm not sure which version to pay for, there's a $49 standard edition, a $139 version (they keep going up but its out of my price range).

i don't have the instruments to record live music, nor do i have the space in my room, i've basically got a keyboard with midi out, my bass, my amp and a laptop running fruity loops, that has a lousy enough sound card.

can anyone recommend/suggest which version i should get OR recommend a possibly better recording suite?

i'd say i could set my limit at $150 (although i use euros in my everyday life :p)

thanks,

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I would not recommend this as a "recording suite". It is more of a looper and beat maker.

Cakewalk is relatively cheap and pretty versatile. I'd check that out.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have the studio version of it. Where you can do a recording with it (I think?), if you're just looking for a program to lay down like bass only, vocals only or something, look for Sound Forge. It's nothing spectacular, but IIRC it's cheap. F.L. is mostly, as stated, a beat maker/looper program. There is a lot that you can do with it and such, and it's a cool program to learn, but if you're looking for a recording program, don't get it.

-Ray

4. I can't say enough good things about Tracktion.

Ableton Live is cool, versitile software as well.

5. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Jul 26, 2005
    I would underestimate FL Studio. It's much more than a "beat maker/looper". You can indeed record tracks with it if you want. Where FL Studio beats out probably every other music software I've used (and I've used quite a few of them) is in making drums. In FL making convincing drum tracks is a piece of pie. It's also makes arrangement and rearrangement much less of a chore than a lot of programs.

I also like Tracktion for what it is. Deceptively powerful, like FL. Both of these programs leave Sonar and Cubase in the dust when it comes to integrating audio with sequencing (which is very important if you plan on creating drum tracks or adding synths). Sonar and Cubase are far from elegant by comparison.

FWIW, if you're into high-end DAW software, the best IMHO is Samplitude, which is what I track live audio with and mix with. If I use FL to make the drums and put in softsynths, I just open FL as a plugin in Samplitude and do the rest there. A very flexible combination.

6. Is fruity loops compatible with Tracktion in that regard? I like the Linn plugin just fine, but if you can build faster and more creatively in Fruity Loops, I'd like to use it.

Then again, I'm still really green to the whole shebang, so any advice would be great.

7. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Jul 26, 2005
    Yes, Tracktion takes plug ins and FL can act as a VST. It's a nice pair for not too many dollars. Add to that all of the free synths and effects available at places like the KVR forums and you're set.

8. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Sizzlemeister,

thanks for the information - i agree with you when you say that making drum tracks is a very easy in FL. i've started to get more familiar with all the other elements of it too, mixing etc.

i'm currently downloading the Samplitude demo and i'll have a look into it.

i don't really like programming bass or guitar in FL - its hard to get the correct "feel" most of the time.

thanks to all of you that replied to my post, i really appreciate it.

mucho karma for you all! :hyper:

9. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister

Jul 26, 2005
    Just so you know, Samplitude is, IMHO, THE BEST (I put it above Pro Tools - blasphemy!). However, it is among the most expensive pieces of audio software available.

For the cost I really wouldn't get too excited about it. Tracktion does the job really well (better in some respects) and is a pittance by comparison.

Regarding sequencing fake guitar and bass parts: I'm afraid you'll probably never get the right feeling. On bass, perhaps, but a lot of it has to do with the sound and if you're looking for a real-string-based sound then getting satisfaction will be difficult. It'll always sounds synthetic.

Now, I love synths and electronic sounds so using those for my pieces is a good thing. But, if I want a guitar part or a string-bass part, I record those. There is no substitute.

10. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm a big fan of Reason. I have FL Studio, Cubaes LE, and an old version of Sonar. Although you can't record analog instruments w/ Reason, it is great for sketching out tunes.