1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone use HiQNet and Crwon XTI

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Mar 15, 2013.

1. I am upgrading my PA and came across the XTI series and the software downloads but they are not well explained to a novice like me.

Does the HiQNet take the place of something like a DBX Drive Rack?

I assume you can set crossover points.
    I read it will optimize for JBL speakers ( I own JBL Mains but not subs).

I am in a cover band and do not plan on bringing a laptop to every gig. Is this something you set once and leave unless you change components?

Thanks for any help.

2. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Troy, the amount of processing available in the XTI can serve as a crossover or time alignment delays, and it also gives you a few bands of parametric EQ if you understand how to use a parametric on a PA. The drive rack does provide more extensive EQ capabilities. From a reliability standpoint, I'd lean more towards QSC amps such as the GX series for raw power and turn towards a nice used drive rack unit. Or buy a Presonus or Soundcraft digital console and get it all and then some and eliminate the need for any type of rack at house mix. I have used many of the XTI with few failures, I am still waiting on my first QSC failure after 35 years in the business. The EQ settings inside the XTI merely offer a manufacturer's predicted corrective EQ filters. Most cabinet presets have 4 to 5 bands of parametric EQ filters that the manufacturer knows will assist in making their product actually sound correct. A drive rack or a digital console will give you additional room tuning assistance with more graphic EQ's and the like.

3. Thanks Kieth.... I I have bought a drive rack, and own 1 qsc plx, was looking at getting another so i can run 2 bridged mono for subs. I saw the weight savings on the xti... but I will just ad another plx.
    Thanks again. I have an old yamaha digital board, but a presonus is in my future.

4. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Don't forget to get a look at the Soundcraft Expression Digital Boards! If you're not looking for the recording conveniences that Presonus offers, the Soundcraft will give you a fully digital console with recall able gains and moving faders and they have a very good ipad app. But being that I like to dink around, the Presonus fit my needs. I do look forward to the next gen of SL consoles though. I hate taking my computer to gigs when I don't need to, and the next gen will the Ethernet port for wireless communication to tablets or I-gizmos using a web based app instead of only working with I-gizmos via a computer via a wireless router.