1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone use their Model J's with each pickup in parallel?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Aug 12, 2012.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Hey people,

I'm really trying to find some clips of a set of Model J's where each pickup is in parallel. They were a bit too dark in series with 500k when I tried them last.

I was silly and didn't try them with the pickups in parallel before sending them on. I'm thinking of combining them with an Audere JZ3 and I'm thinking that it could work well if I set them up in parallel, even though the pots on the Audere are 250k. Putting them with the preamp means I won't be able to switch around series/parallel settings.

Anyone use their Model J's in Parallel mode? Any description of the tone would be rad.

2. You can indeed do series/parallel switching with a preamp.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right, just do the switching before they get to the preamp.

model Js are inherently kinda dark, maybe you want the more up-to-date ultrajazz or area J.

4. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    This is true, but I don't have any more real estate to put switches in. That's more the problem with the audere.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I used to have a Bass with Model Js, and had series/parallel switches. If you find them too dark, try parallel.